Diversity – Innovation – Caring – Global Collaboration – Winning Spirit – High Performance
At Boston Scientific, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you by working in teams of diverse and high-performing employees, tackling some of the most important health industry challenges. With access to the latest tools, information and training, we’ll help you in advancing your skills and career. Here, you’ll be supported in progressing – whatever your ambitions.
About the role:
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal R&D Engineer (Exploratory) supporting Coronary Therapies projects within the Interventional Cardiology division. This role will utilize a variety of new and proven technologies to deliver life-changing medical devices to patients and clinicians in support of BSC’s mission.
- Work on specific IHF projects related to Mechanical Circulatory Support (MCS)
- Example(s): Diagnostics, sensing, device feedback inputs for MCS and algorithm development
- System and algorithm design solutions in exploratory development for the interventional heart failure group to expand the product offering and next generation device development
- Example(s): Big Iron integration; low flouro and all system integration Design, work with internal and external vendors for various medical device components: catheters, frames, introducers, balloons, sheaths, biomaterials, used within the field of interventional cardiology
- Work directly with design team members to strategize exploration scope and how the technology can develop towards an official development project
- Interface with physicians, consultants, and internal technical leads to formulate user and product requirements
- Assess competitive product for development purposes
- Develop specific Interface and system demonstrations to participate in animal studies, cadaveric studies, and physician feedback sessions
- Work cooperatively with other team members and project teams to develop design inputs, outputs, use conditions, procedure flow, and expected competitive performance limits
- Provide clear communication to stakeholders at key technical updates across the business
- Lead the design & execution of structured experimental plans to drive data-based decisions.
- Work cooperatively with process development, quality, manufacturing, regulatory, clinical, and marketing on complex projects to ensure project success
- In all actions, demonstrate a primary commitment to patient safety and product quality by maintaining compliance to all documented quality processes and procedures
- Present leadership to other team members, key stakeholders, and management
- Develop transition criteria, planning and accountability to move projects from Exploratory work into additional exploration or TDP projects
What we’re looking for:
- BS in Electrical, Mechanical, Biomedical or Systems Engineering
- Bachelor’s Degree with 12 years or more experience OR Master’s Degree with 9 years or more experience OR PhD with 7 years’ experience
- Clear communication though emails, writing, presentation, and overall meeting participation across the business at various levels
- Experience with medical devices for multiple days duration
- Ability to iterate designs quickly when requirements haven’t been fully established
- Experience with design for manufacturability of catheter components at product volumes
- DOE experience
- Solid knowledge of statistics
- Solid medical device design control process and documentation experience
- Solid lab experience with experimental design and test development and execution
- Ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on technical inputs from multiple and varied sources
- Excellent organizational, communication, and collaboration skills
- Solid knowledge of cardiovascular anatomy and physiology
- Hands on development approach
Requisition ID: 509138
As a leader in medical science for more than 40 years, we are committed to solving the challenges that matter most – united by a deep caring for human life. Our mission to advance science for life is about transforming lives through innovative medical solutions that improve patient lives, create value for our customers, and support our employees and the communities in which we operate. Now more than ever, we have a responsibility to apply those values to everything we do – as a global business and as a global corporate citizen.
So, choosing a career with Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX) isn’t just business, it’s personal. And if you’re a natural problem-solver with the imagination, determination, and spirit to make a meaningful difference to people worldwide, we encourage you to apply and look forward to connecting with you!
At Boston Scientific, we recognize that nurturing a diverse and inclusive workplace helps us be more innovative and it is important in our work of advancing science for life and improving patient health. That is why we stand for inclusion, equality, and opportunity for all. By embracing the richness of our unique backgrounds and perspectives, we create a better, more rewarding place for our employees to work and reflect the patients, customers, and communities we serve. Boston Scientific is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Boston Scientific maintains a drug-free workplace. Pursuant to Va. Code § 2.2-4312 (2000), Boston Scientific is providing notification that the unlawful manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance or marijuana is prohibited in the workplace and that violations will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.