Requisition Number: 47461
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Corning Technology Center – Silicon Valley (CTCSV) is a small research and development firm in Sunnyvale, CA within Corning Incorporated’s global research (headquartered in Corning, NY). CTCSV leverages Corning’s expertise in materials science and processing into the areas of optoelectronics, sensors, novel display applications, and high-speed electronics. CTCSV is looking to add a junior level electrical engineer who can bring some electrical engineering skills to help the team build prototypes and products, while also growing his or her own skills by working in new areas with experienced members of the team.
Day to day activities range from testing, building, and debugging prototypes and experiments in the lab (from both off the shelf parts and, when required, custom parts); computer aided design and simulation, cross functional interaction with adjacent teams, colleagues across global research, and external vendors; and learning new skills to advance future products in the pipeline.
B.S. or M.S., 0-5 years work experience
• Possess clear, concise writing and communication skills
• Read and create circuit schematics and block diagrams
• Have solder abilities
• Willingness to use hands in the lab to build prototypes and experiments
• Be organized
• Enjoy working with a team
• Enjoy following trends within the industry
• Positive personality
Candidate knowledge required in one or more of the following areas:
• Analog circuit design (op-amps, TIAs, DC-DC converters [LDO, SMPS, buck-boost], CMOS or BJT circuit design, KVL & KCL)
• Digital circuit design (microcontrollers, logic gate design)
• FPGA/PLD design (Verilog or VHDL)
• Transmission line theory (VSWR, microstrip, coplanar, twinax, etc.)
• Electromagnetic theory
• S-parameters (2 port, 4 port)
• Passive RF Techniques (filter design, matching networks)
• PCB design
• Programming (C, Python, etc.)
• iOS/Android app development
• High frequency signal integrity (crosstalk, eye diagrams)
• UNIX programming and scripting
• Fiber optic communication
• Semiconductor physics
Familiar with some of the following equipment/software:
• Spectrum analyzer
• Vector network analyzer
• Logic analyzer
• Bit error rate tester
• CST Microwave Studio (or HFSS)
• SPICE (or similar circuit simulator)
• Matlab • PCB design tool (Allegro, KiCAD, etc.)
• Signal generator
• Other basic EE hardware (DMM, power supply, etc.)
Nice to have:
• USB protocol understanding (high level, physical, link, or application layer)
• Signal analysis (modulation techniques)
• IC design cycle to silicon experience
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.