Join the diverse and dynamic team that powers Michigan’s largest energy provider and one of the nation’s largest gas and electric combination utilities. Consumers Energy services 6.7 million of Michigan’s 10 million residents – caring for our friends and neighbors in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties. We embrace a cleaner and leaner utility vision focused on eliminating energy waste and adding renewable energy from sources such as wind and solar.
At Consumers Energy, we offer more than just a place to work. We foster a culture that supports career development, growth, and stability, and we take pride in offering our co-workers excellent benefits and compensation packages. We are deliberately creating an inclusive culture that makes our diverse team of co-workers feel valued, supported, and empowered every day. We’re a company made up of thousands of people, all with different stories to share and work to do, but we stand united in our company purpose: world class performance delivering hometown service.
Electric Operations Compliance Assurance ensures that processes, procedures and practices comply with policies, laws and regulations through application of an end to end risk based audit program which includes; management action plans, gap closure and controls verification. The program requires verification of corrections for non-conformance/violations to validate they are effective and sustainable.
Electric Operations Compliance Assurance Manager will provide oversight to the Company’s Audit Programs for field compliance and the completion of activities to support Consumers Energy’s obligations to Safety, Federal and State Regulatory Requirements, and internal Company Standards.
The Manager will be responsible for planning and assigning tasks centered on a risk-based methodology and annual audit and sustainability plan. This position requires some knowledge of Electric Operations work practices while demonstrating collaborative Leadership with Business Owners, internal and external key stakeholders and with our Customers. These Leaders provide management, oversight and support investments for the teams to be success in performing their roles.
The work location will be determined upon the successful candidate’s home location.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directly leads and facilitates the deployment of Operations risk based audit program
- Apply experience and knowledge to lead a team responsible for key components of a risk based audit program including safety and process compliance focus; work independently on most issues and receive guidance from management. Participate in the development or improvement of processes and programs
- Manage programs, monitor and track work to ensure timelines and quality and ensures enough resources are allocated to support the audit and effectiveness review process
- Lead all aspects of the daily quality assurance life cycle management for field compliance using industry best practices for in line inspection and in process verification and control aligned with our risk-based methodology
Team Process/Work Management:
- Communicate and work effectively with internal and external departments and personnel to enable the end to end audit process
- Identify and verify the effectiveness for controls that are included in the process being audited
- Prepare recommendations for controls and procedures to improve program compliance, efficiencies and customer satisfaction
- Is responsible for liaison responsibilities and sustain a healthy relationship with our union and leadership
- Communicate and educate changes associated with findings
- Support work processes teams, educate new processes or changes in processes
- Work with all levels of leadership to maximize understanding and improvement of compliance with processes and rules and regulations in Operations
- Seek out industry best practices implementing those that create value for the organization
- Collaborate with Corporate Safety and the Joint Electric Safety Team (JEST) to improve upon policies, procedures, practices as related to safety
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Engineering or related discipline OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- 8+ years of overall experience (preferred electric experience and/or experience working with union workforce)
- 5+ years of audit experience
- 3+ years of management/supervisory experience
- Ability to obtain ASQ Professional Certification (Certified Quality Auditor or similar)
- Experience in Electric Operations and/or compliance assurance programs, including safety procedures and adherence
- Building key relationships across the organizations and key stakeholders and experience in leading teams
- Ability to facilitate continuous improvement efforts to drive predictable and repeatable performance.
- Solid understanding of internal controls, safety process, and work methods process
- Possess sound knowledge of business risks and practices, and business process improvements
- Develop as practitioner with an audit and analysis
- Has applied industry best practices for in line inspection and verification
- Required to hold a storm restoration role
Hours and Travel
- This position requires the individual to work a minimum of 40 hours per week with a majority of the time spent in the office or specific field locations
- 60% extensive travel required
- Individual may have to work outside of assigned headquarters to help with emergent or scheduled work which may require overnight stays
- Individual must have a valid driver’s license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable the individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl
- The employee must be able to talk and hear
- He/she must be able to traverse the power plant to inspect and operate all plant related equipment
- The employee must meet vision requirements to include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Temperature conditions within the plant can fluctuate and can reach above 100 degrees; in addition, should they need to evaluate outdoor equipment, the individual will be exposed to outdoor temperatures that fluctuate with weather conditions
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the Auxiliary Operator will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The noise level varies from normal to loud depending on construction activity and plant mode of operation