Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
In this role you will use automated and manual means to apply dosimetry to products scheduled for sterilization. You’ll evaluate product dosimetry after sterilization and records the results in the appropriate processing record. You’ll operates analytical instrumentation associated with the dosimetry system and maintain documentation as required by ISO/ASTM and the plant’s radioactive materials license. You will also serve as an operator of the research loop and is licensed to operate the irradiator. You’ll need to have knowledge of the ISO 9001 Standard and AAMI, ISO, ASTM methods related to radiation processing to ensure dosimetry processing equipment meets federal regulations. You’ll be asked to coordinate with technical staff and planners to schedule required maintenance and periodic safety checks of the irradiator.
Description of Work:
- Periodically irradiate dosimeter packets to confirm the continued validity of dosimetry calibration.
- Conduct dose mapping of any particularly dense product.
- Provide training and technical assistance to Irradiator Operators and Material Handlers on the operation of the dosimetry system.
- Assist in the establishment of procedures and best practices for dosimetry.
- Retain records of dosimetry instrument validation.
- Conduct in-coming inspections of dosimeter batches and maintain files for same. Track dosimeter inventory.
- Assist in conducting re-qualification runs after any change in the cobalt load pattern and recommend process change parameters.
- Work in conjunction with production planners to determine production priorities and communicate these to all concerned parties.
- Using data provided by Sterilizer Operators, render a Certificate of Processing for each irradiated product batch.
- Assemble a Device History Record (DHR)
- Assists and participates in all aspects of training of Irradiator Operations Group and peripheral support groups.
- Observe all safety and environmental procedures and Quality System requirements.
- In the event of an emergency, must be able to effectively communicate with outside agencies.
- Successful completion of company provided Radiation Safety Fundamentals and application of best practices, along with Industrial Irradiator training program to become certified Irradiator Operator.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Monday – Friday; 7 AM – 3PM
- Will need flexibility for off shift support as needed.
- Associate’s degree in technical field and minimum of 1+ years of dosimetry or similar experience.
- Will consider prior military experience/technical training in lieu of degree.
- Or will consider High School diploma or GED and minimum 3+ years of dosimetry or similar experience.
- Knowledge of sterilization processes (Gamma and / or E-Beam).
- Proficient in the use of software programs such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to work directly with and lead personnel on irradiator equipment and processes.
- Experience in process validations.
- Familiarity with ERP systems (data structures, transactions, and inventory management).
- Familiarity with ISO 11137, ASTM 51261 and NRC 10 CFR Parts 20 & 36.
- Creative/innovative problem solving.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate actions.
- Strong technical, data-driven troubleshooting aptitude.
- Able to collaborate across functional boundaries and integrate standardized solutions.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.