When you join New York Life, you’re joining a company that values development, career growth, collaboration, innovation, and diversity & inclusion. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. Through various resources and programs, you can grow your career while developing personally and professionally.
The Domain Architect – Software Design and Integration is a leadership role accountable for the successful delivery of high-quality data platforms, business applications, processes, software and IT support for New York Life, Investments. The DA-SDI will be ultimately responsible for all software design and integration application development assigned by the CIO of New York Life Investments. The DA-SDI will work closely with the CIO of Investments, the Investments Technology Leadership Team and the New York Life Technology team at large to design and deliver software and IT services that meets the needs of the New York Life, Investments business unit.
- Leads multiple application development or design initiatives in a matrixed team structure
- Provides critical guidance to ensure complex projects meet business and/or technical requirements.
- Conducts and provides work estimates.
- Drives business case, cost benefit and risk analysis for large projects.
- Provides consulting project teams as needed.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a deeep knowledge of the Investments Business Domain both from a portfolio management and accounting data perspective, as well as product data and distribution perspective. In addition, the person must have hands-on ability with classic and modern data tools, as well as extensive experience with application development using object-oriented methodologies and service-oriented architectures.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the CIO in developing a Strategic Application and platform Architecture for Investments Technology.
- Mentor and help the Application Development teams to deliver software that meets business needs.
- Ensure delivery consistent with current best practices in system architecture and design, application development and data quality.
- Work effectively with Project and Portfolio Managers to ensure delivery against agreed priorities.
- Accountable for the on time and to quality delivery of assigned software development projects
- Ensure that our strategic architecture and design concepts stay aligned with the best practices for software development prevalent in the industry.
- Ensure Application architecture and design are aligned with NYL standards and industry best practices.
- Has ultimate responsibility for application design and quality of implementation.
- Recommend and incorporate into our designs appropriate technology trends that will support the future success of the business.
- Encourage and drive consistent standards and approaches throughout the development team.
Communication and information
- Report to and meet with the CIO, Investments on a regular basis.
- Communicate and ensure engagement of Investments technology strategies internally and within the Investments user community.
- Ensure effective internal communications both within the Investments technology development teams and across the organization.
- Ability to understand the constraints and opportunities presented by financial and budgetary environment.
Staffing, Management and Resources
- Evaluate and suggest improvement areas for the skills and experience of Application Development teams to ensure they are appropriate for providing quality in present and future services.
- Managing offshore partner resources appropriately as required from time to time.
- Hands-on experience with SQL and Oracle is required
- Hands-on experience in .Net or Java
- Hands-on experience in ETL such as DataStage / Informatica or similar tools.
- Hands-on experience with RESTful APIs.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools such as Tableau or QLik.
- Familiarity with data virtualization tools such as Dremio or TIBCO.
- Familiarity and some working knowledge in Business Object Universe, WEBi and Crystal report development.
- Working with cloud / externally hosted platforms
- Typical candidates will possess 15+ years of relevant experience and BA/BS Degree or equivalent.
- Possess an authoritative understanding of development tools, processes, techniques and standards.
- Deep Asset Management / Financial Services domain knowledge across front, middle and back office, both on the Investment management and distribution sides.
- Successful management of large multi-location application development teams.
- Deep understanding of asset management data and data providers
- Familiar with offshore development partners to establish effective staff augmentation.
- Establishing strong relationships with senior business partners covering strategy and tactical work.
Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by our Foundation. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
Job Requisition ID: 83331