For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
The Director, Global Leadership Development will lead enterprise-wide strategy, design, and implementation of agile, future-focused leadership development approaches, practices, and programs to ensure Charles River Laboratories has the strength of leadership and successor readiness at critical levels to drive success now and in the future. This new individual contributor role is an excellent opportunity for an experienced, strategic, and results-oriented professional to influence the future of leader development at Charles River Laboratories during a time of exciting growth for the company.
Reports to: Executive Director, Global Talent Management (GTM)
- Develop, implement, and progress a comprehensive Global Leadership Development Strategy for CRL which ensures near-term development of existing leaders and strengthens Charles River Labs’ leadership pipeline for the future.
- Build foundational practices and approaches for identification, preparation, and on-going development across critical levels and segments of leadership (e.g. Leader of Leaders, All People Leaders, General Managers, early-in-career/aspiring leaders, etc.) through 70-20-10 learning approaches facilitated by leading practices adapted to the Charles River business and growth strategy, culture, and on-going operations.
- Partner with key business, HR, and Global Talent Management (GTM) partners to ensure that critical capabilities and gaps are identified and addressed and that solutions are grounded and integrated into overall business and talent strategy, drive culture, and are agile, practical, impactful, and measurable.
- Own and evolve Charles River Leadership Behavioral Framework and leadership philosophy.
- Build operational practices that capture metrics and business impact (including contributions to margin, growth, and other key indicators of business success).
- Ensure prioritization, investments, and foundations are established for future success.
- Act as full member of GTM Leadership ensuring excellence, practicality, and integration across all aspects of talent and organization capability development.
- Monitor industry trends as they relate to development of future-focused leadership and continuously look for ways to innovate, make recommendations to enhance 70/20/10 development, leverage digital technology, and optimize the development of our current and future leaders.
- Advanced Degree in HR, Organization Development, I/O Psychology, related field, or MBA
- At least 15 years professional experience
- At least 10 years in Leadership Development, Learning & Development, Talent Management, Organization Development or other closely related field
- Progressive, curious, and innovative individual with excellent foresight and ability to quickly turn strategy into impactful plans and actions
- Well-versed in a variety of foundations, practices, and approaches to Leadership Development
- Data-driven with excellent judgment
- High on results-orientation and learning agility
- Excellent leadership & influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability to bring people along with significant change, drive leveraged action, and take tough decisions
- Great communicator
- Strategic, Systems Thinker
- Ability to lead on-going operations
- Willing to roll-up-sleeves and do the work as well as contribute by influencing and leading others
- Excellent Team Player
- Demonstrated success in global, matrixed, environments and delivering impact in both face-to-face, virtual, and blended work environments
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult learning principles, contemporary blended learning approaches, instructional design concepts and models, and 70/20/10 principles for learning solutions
Location is open. Travel would be less than 20% (post-COVID). Role may assume formal people leadership responsibility / direct reports in the future.
About Corporate Functions
The Corporate Functions provide operational support across Charles River in areas such as Human Resources, Finance, IT, Legal, Sales, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Corporate Development. They partner with their colleagues across the company to develop and drive strategies and to set global standards. The functions are essential to providing a bridge between strategic vision and operational readiness, to ensure ongoing functional innovation and capability improvement.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.