Req ID: 122672
Recruiter: Jeannette L Casey-Stinson
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
Salary Grade: H 11
For more information about CHOP’s current Fiscal Year Compensation Plan Guidelines please click here
Provides clinical nutrition and enteral feeding services to patients. Adheres to standards of food safety and sanitation, regulatory standards, departmental and hospital policies and procedures in the execution of assigned duties. Maintains and models CHOP values and service standards in the execution of all assigned duties.
- Completes nutrition assessments of patients within scope of practice of Dietetic Technician-Registered based on screening and documentation guidelines.
- Estimates nutritional intakes of patients. Calculates and documents calorie counts as requested. Assists RDs with data collection as needed.
- Identifies patients in need of in-depth assessment by RD and transfers care appropriately.
- Instructs patients (and/or families, as appropriate) on restricted/special diets or special formulas. Refers for outpatient follow-up as necessary.
- Is knowledgeable regarding nutritional content, sources, and use of commercial supplements, tube feeding, infant formula, and feeding modules (fat, protein, carbohydrate, vitamins, and minerals).
- Inputs data from outpatient diet records on computer for analysis to be completed by outpatient dietitian. Maintain updates and enter new items in Food Processor.
- Completes general lactation education including pump equipment.
Enteral Feeding Production
- Prepares, portions, delivers patient enteral feeding orders accurately and timely.
- Knowledgeable about human milk, formulas and additives used in infant, pediatric and adult patients.
- Practices with a questioning attitude and escalates concerns, issues or discrepancies regarding enteral feeding orders, faulty equipment and unsafe working conditions appropriately.
- Adheres to applicable regulations, safety and infection prevention & control standards that govern enteral feeding production operations.
- Participates in departmental educational events as requested.
- Assists in the development of educational materials and other projects.
- Provides education with regard to nutrition and lactation.
- Participates in site specific education events as requested
- Maintains friendly, efficient demeanor and models CHOP ICARE Values and Service Standards.
- Participates in ongoing quality assurance and performance improvement activities as requested.
- Maintains productivity, screening and other documentation of activities as requested.
- Product inventory and management.
- Assists in training other employees as requested.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Participates in any department staff meetings and education programs as requested.
- Maintains competence and professional development. Maintains registration as required. Uses reference materials, trends in dietetics, enteral feeding best practice guidelines and research to enhance clinical knowledge.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Associates Degree
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred Experience: Prior work experience in a hospital setting or WIC program.
Preferred Licenses/certificates/registrations: Lactation education/certification.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to patients and families, public, medical staff and physicians.
- Must be able to read English with understanding and write English legibly.
- Basic knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy in pediatric patients.
- Basic knowledge of nutrient analysis, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
- Competence in nutritional content, sources and use of commercial supplements, tube feedings, human milk, infant formulas and feeding modulars (fat, protein, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals).
- Ability to perform increasingly complex mathematical calculations such as fractions, percentages, ratios, proportions and metric measures.
- Computer proficiency required.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146