Location: LOC_MAIN-Main Hospital
Req ID: 98272
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
As a Dietetic Technician Registered (DTR), under the direction of a Registered Dietitian (RD), you will provide clinical nutrition services to patients including but not limited to: contributing to assessments by obtaining diet histories and obtaining/calculating anthropometrics; educating patients who receive modified diets and special formulas; assisting with snack and oral supplement preferences; and inputting data from patient diet records for analysis by RDs. The DTR will also participate in teaching sessions and in-services, and will organize and coordinate National Nutrition Month activities.
- Completes basic initial and follow-up nutritional assessments of patients on modified diets and special formulas, length of stay (LOS), and diet allergies. Develops and implements nutritional care plans guided by standards of care and documents in medical record.
- Estimates nutritional intakes of patients and evaluates ability to tolerate various feeding types. Calculates and documents calorie counts as requested. Assists RDs with data collection as needed.
- Identifies patients in need of in-depth assessment by RD or specialized nutrition support dietitian, and transfers care to appropriate RD.
- Instructs patients (and/or families, as appropriate) on restricted/special diets or special formulas. Refers for outpatient follow-up as necessary.
- Is knowledgeable regarding nutritional content, sources, and use of commercial supplements, tube feeding, infant formula, and feeding modules (fat, protein, carbohydrate, vitamins, and minerals).
- Inputs data from outpatient diet records on computer for analysis to be completed by outpatient dietitian. Maintain updates and enter new items in Food Processor.
- Participates in teaching sessions and in-services for students and Nutrition Services Staff as requested.
- Assists RDs in developing educational materials and other projects.
- Participates in nutrition education of the surrounding community (health fairs, school assemblies) as requested.
- Responsible for organizing and coordinating National Nutrition Month activities for the department of Clinical Nutrition.
- Maintains productivity, screening and other documentation of activities as requested.
- Participates in Clinical Nutrition staff meetings.
- Attends CEUs offered by Clinical Nutrition, GI/Nutrition Seminar and others as identified by management, when appropriate.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Dietetic Technician-Registered (DTR) through the Commission on Dietetic Registration within six (6) months of placement into position
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Associates Degree
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred Experience: Prior work experience in a hospital setting or WIC program.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to patients and families, public, medical staff and physicians.
- Basic knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy in pediatric patients.
- Basic knowledge of nutrient analysis, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
- Familiarity with nutritional content, sources and use of commercial supplements, tube feedings, infant formulas and feeding modules (fat, protein, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals).
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146