Requisition ID: 240759
Requisition Posting End Date: 10/20/2021
Join Bechtel, one of the most exciting engineering and project delivery organisations in the world. Bechtel is a respected organisation and an industry leader in construction. Bechtel were named the top U.S. construction contractor for the 20th consecutive year by the engineering and construction industry’s leading publication.
What we offer
At Bechtel we offer a competitive salary package with the opportunity for flexible working to achieve greater work-life balance. Employee wellbeing is at the centre of our business promoted though private health cover and access to a leading employee assistance program. Bechtel is committed to offering you the benefits and resources to live healthy lives
Sydney Metro West is a major driverless metro rail line connecting Greater Parramatta and the Sydney Central Business District. The new line will double the rail capacity between the two areas, reduce journey times and link more communities to rail services, supporting employment growth and housing supply. The project is expected to create around 10,000 direct and 70,000 indirect jobs during construction.
Sydney Metro West will include nine stations and deliver rail services for the first time to communities at Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays and Pyrmont. It will also provide faster, more frequent access to; major employment at Parramatta and The Bays; sporting and entertainment at Sydney Olympic Park; and health and education at Westmead.
The Sydney Metro West Design Manager, Western Tunnel Package will form an integral part of the Integrated Delivery Partner Team. The individual must be proactive, a self-starter and outcome focused as they will be seconded into the client’s delivery team. Whilst the individual will report to a Bechtel employee for the purposes of time management and performance reviews, their day-to-day direction and priorities will be provided by the Sydney Metro Western Tunnel Package Delivery Director.
The Design Manager will form part of the key Sydney Metro West leadership team and must have excellent communication skills. The Design Manager must have previous experience in civil construction, tunnelling, and geotechnical works.
- Responsibility for managing all engineering and project development activities for the Western Tunnel Package;
- Undertaking Contractor design reviews and monitoring that all contractor designed
- packages of work comply with the reference design and relevant legislation
- Coordinating with the Sydney Metro Engineering Design Solutions partner to resolve technical issues, providing clear direction and guidance to the Contractor designers
- Ensuring that the design solutions are integrated across the broader Sydney Metro West project and specifically the stations located within the western tunnel section.
- Administering technical plans, procedures and processes to support design management
- Participating at major Interdisciplinary Design and Gate Reviews
- Providing support to the Sydney Metro assurance team to validate that the engineering solutions represent best for project outcomes
- Supporting technical elements of the Sydney Metro Change Control Process
- During delivery of the works, support resolution of Non-Conformance Reports, Request for Information and Defect rectification to ensure ‘best for project outcomes’ are achieved.
- Recognised degree in an engineering, scientific or other appropriate discipline.
- Current recognised chartership or professional licence.
- At least 15 years of experience in the construction industry, with at least 10 years’ experience in the rail industry.
- Must have significant experience in civil and geotechnical works.
- Experience on programme / project of similar scale and stature as Sydney Metro West. Experience in leading railway engineering design and development works
- Knowledge and demonstrated application of Bechtel’s Zero Accident Safety Philosophy or an equivalent program.
- Knowledge of construction, engineering, procurement, subcontracts / contracts, planning, scheduling and cost, estimating and the interrelationships.
- Thorough knowledge of current industry standards, as applicable in New South Wales, Australia
- Broad knowledge of environmental compliance laws and requirements for NSW, Australia, including knowledge of project-specific environmental compliance requirements;
- Broad knowledge of government compliance standards for NSW, Australia.
- Knowledge of six sigma program, preference with experience in deployment
Bechtel’s Vision, Values and Covenants commit us to the ideals of fairness, diversity, inclusion, trust among others. These values help define our culture and the positive impact we aspire to make in the world through our people and projects. At our project sites and offices, we have many colleagues from different nationalities, religions, and backgrounds working together to accomplish amazing things.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, nationality, age, military, or veteran, marital or disability status.
Candidates will be appropriately qualified, demonstrate a strong safety focus and value the development and maintenance of client relationships. Sound communication skills and the ability to work effectively within a team environment are essential.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career with global opportunities, then this could be the role for you.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.