Requisition ID: 235221
Requisition Posting End Date: 07/22/2021
Contracts Manager / Senior Managing Quantity Surveyor, SAMI
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
SAUDI ARABIAN MILITARY INDUSTRIES (SAMI)
SAMI is a national holding company owned 100% by the Public Investment Fund (PIF), a sovereign wealth fund owned by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA). SAMI was established in May 2017 to develop the military infrastructure necessary to help the Saudi Vision 2030 aim of localizing military spending to at least 50% by the end of the decade. It commenced operations in January 2018.
SAMI is working with numerous Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and local contractors to establish a military industrial infrastructure across the Kingdom. It is organised into 4 Divisions: Aeronautics, Defense Electronics, Land and Weapons & Missiles; Naval interests are covered within the Weapons & Missiles portfolio.
Bechtel was contracted to provide a Facility Management Team (FMT) to develop and implement a Facility Masterplan to help align SAMI`s programs. This has led to the opportunity to expand into an Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO) at the corporate level with a focus on monitoring and reporting.
There is also an opportunity to provide a Project Management/Construction Management (PM/CM) team to manage the design and construction of an Ammunition Industrial Complex (AIC). This state-of-the-art ammunition facility will comprise approximately 60 buildings on a 20 km2 site north of Riyadh, which will be designed and built over the next 3-4 years.
Contracts Manager will be a key member of the project team.
Detailed Job Description
Lead team(s) to manage and perform all activities associated with formation, tendering, award and administration of design build subcontracts packages for the NEOM project. Activities will include delivery of critical items required from initial project set-up, through to defining and developing a team, to establishing coordinated procedures and controls, and to management of team(s) with accountability for work product to project milestones, quality and safety standards. Significant proactive engagement required with the project management team, other departments, customers and stakeholders to enable successful alignment on systems, processes, procedures and the critical activities for project success.
- Work product output to achieve milestones.
- Engage as part of the project management senior team and Customer to develop and align strategy, methods and controls for the safe and successful project work performance
- Leadership of teams to establishment of systems, procedures and controls in coordination with others and aligned to project and company standards.
- Self performance of activities as may be required to help the team.
- Team management, guidance and development to effectively resolve change events, claims and disputes fairly including coordination with Legal as may be required.
- Managing significant commercial matters to resolution, defining strategy and actions.
- Team player that can direct and receive guidance and feedback.
- Reports to the Commercial Manager and/or Project Manager.
- Receives functional guidance from the responsible GBU Manager of Contracts and Procurement.
Leads the development and issuance of contracts and services agreements including the following activities such that the team:
- Forms Request for Tender (RFT) packages.
- Issues bid request packages to approved bidders.
- Prepares Evaluation Criteria for approval by Project Team and Owner.
- Collaborates Tenderer questions and answers to those questions as needed.
- Receives Tenders and manages the commercial evaluations.
- Prepares Commercial Bid Summary and Overall Recommendation to Award subject Contract.
- Recommends and helps Owners Nominated representative in obtaining approvals in accordance with established procedures and Customer’s Delegated Authorities Matrix.
- Prepares contract documents for execution with Customer’s Legal Advisors.
- Prepares and maintains control and status reporting documents.
- Prepares and organizes tenderer meetings/workshops, such as bid clarification and pre-award meetings, for the purpose of ensuring complete understanding and agreement between Bechtel, the client, and contractor on all contractual matters.
- Conducts a meeting and prepares and issues meeting notes delineating important statements, required actions, and schedules.
Leads contracts and commercial teams and responsible for:
- The implementation of Contract & Commercial Management Procedures for the administration of the Contract.
- The review of Contract general terms and conditions to highlight areas of risk, ambiguities, conflicts or deviations from the scope of work and the actions required.
- The development and management of appropriate mechanisms to monitor compliance with contract terms and conditions.
- Working with the other Project Team members to ensure that Bechtel and customer related actions or inactions which could result in contract changes or claims are identified and to provide recommendations accordingly.
- Identification and resolution of Contract claims as they develop, including engagement of corporate legal department where necessary.
- Obtaining all contract deliverables for timely work handover and close-out of contracts.
Essential Technical Skills:
- Degree in Business, Quantity Surveying, Law or Engineering desirable and 13 years of relevant experience or 19 years of experience in leu of a degree .
- Experience and courses in pricing, contract law, contract drafting, administration and negotiation of change orders, effective correspondence, planning and scheduling.
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork capabilities suitable for managing a workforce of many nationalities and backgrounds.
- Proficiency in the formation and administration of major infrastructure projects.
- Comprehensive knowledge of contract management and negotiations gained through education or experience.
- Extensive commercial management knowledge.
- Direct experience interviewing / personnel selection, salary planning, performance evaluations, career counseling and resource allocation.
- Demonstrated capability to prepare and make presentations to Customers, Line Managers, Project Managers and project teams.
- Knowledge of when to engage legal counsel.
- Working knowledge of engineering/construction industry contracting practices, applicable government and commercial regulations and practices, and Bechtel policies, procedures and work practices.
- Extensive skill in working and informing effectively, both orally and in writing, with other project functional groups, Customers and Stakeholders.
Essential Behavioral Skills:
- Able to mentor and guide teams and behaviours.
- Able to manage complex environments.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Minimum 20+ years’ experience in Commercial or Contracts Management of projects to mega-project size.
Preferred Behavioral Skills:
- Experience Middle East / Saudi Arabia
- Arabic Language, Managing Large Teams etc.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.