Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The Customer Service Technician will be performing installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of high-speed internet, video and voice networks including associated wiring and equipment. Additionally, maintaining and repairing outside plant facilities within assigned geographic service areas.
POSTING CLOSES 9/23/2021
The Main Responsibilities
- Perform installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of high-speed internet, video and voice networks including associated wiring and equipment.
- Perform maintenance and repair on outside plant facilities.
- Climb poles, use a shovel and pick to dig up and bury cable; and may be required to work in manholes or controlled environmental vaults (CEV). Locate buried telephone cables.
- Observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Assist other Technical personnel in the performance of their duties when requested.
- Must convey a positive and professional appearance and demeanor when communicating the company’s products and services to our customers.
- Actively support sales and marketing related activities.
- Direct customer facing work and sales referrals.
- Accountability/dependability (on time and on load when scheduled and serve on call as needed).
- Teamwork (technical expertise developed to complete work efficiently to achieve work group key service measures).
- Active Listening (ability to take input from customers, APS and co-workers to problem solve and improve skills).
- Asking relevant questions to ensure problems are resolved quickly or to clarify information or directions.
- Active Learning (curious seeker of new information and actively works to improve skills and knowledge).
- Assume all other duties as assigned.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Education/experience of High School diploma (or equivalent) or higher.
- Ability to distinguish colors on facilities.
- Ability to handle 28 ft extension ladders (up to 75 lbs. routine work) and manhole covers (up to 150 lbs.).
- Ability to successfully complete service tech boot camp training, POTS/DSL installation/repair, cable splicing/maintenance, basic transmissions, air pressure, and HSI installations (self and full).
- Basic computer skills including MS Office applications.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g. attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to work aloft (e.g. ladder).
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and at various hours of the day/night.
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
- A valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
- Prior experience as a customer facing telecom operations technician.
- Basic electricity training/certification or documented equivalent work experience.
- ADSL installation/repair experience (self/full installs).
- A+/Net + Certified Required Soft Skills.
What to Expect Next
Based on your job application information you may be given the opportunity to complete a video interview immediately after applying. This will include a set of questions for you to record a response to in addition to Game Challenges. Completion of this video interview is a requirement in order to be considered for our open position. Now not a good time? No worries, we will also send you an email with a link to complete the video interview. We strongly recommend that you complete this within 5 days of your application date.
Requisition #: 257075
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, creed, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.