Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
Are you willing to learn new technologies, provide friendly and knowledgeable solutions to our customers? Join our team as a Technician providing excellence in servicing the customer, selling our products and integrated communications services. What are the advantages to joining our dynamic technical team? Here are just a few – paid training, tuition assistance available, tools, test equipment and a company vehicle you will need to perform your job as well as you will have rapid progressive earning potential and advancement opportunities.
POSTING CLOSES 1/24/2022
The Main Responsibilities
- Installs, tests and maintains private and switched services, and applications for individual residential and business customers. Such services and applications include analog, data, sub-rate and high-speed digital, DSL, VDSL, ISDN, E911, 911, audio and video services, and associated ancillary equipment and software configured to meet existing and anticipated customer needs. Requirements include work on both copper and fiber facilities and equipment for DSO, DS1, DS3 & above, and optical circuits.
- Uses laptop computer to option electronic systems and applications, and to test and install individual services. Installs computer interface cards in customer owned equipment (laptop and desktop computers).
- Successfully options/configures customer’s computer hardware and software, installs modems and telephone filters and applications to complete DSL and VDSL services.
- Reviews, analyzes, updates, and interprets work orders, circuit diagrams, word documents, schematic drawings, engineering work prints, OSP (Outside Plant) maps, equipment drawings, company records, technical manuals and other source documents to obtain specifications for installation and trouble isolation purposes.
- Resolves issues to insure service is installed/repaired by committed date/time.
- Receives service orders, worksheets (detailed diagrams describing nature and location of equipment to be installed or repaired) and repair tickets from supervisor, or other designated employees and performs specified work.
- Conducts tests associated with the installation and repair of individual circuits. Resolves customer issues and problems, insures customer satisfaction; insures service is working to specifications. Contacts control and/or dispatch centers or other designated employees during tour for other assignments.
- Analyzes service orders and trouble tickets for accuracy and completeness, verifies critical dates, commitments, facility and equipment assignments, reasonableness of test results and conformity of circuits to established tolerance criteria.
- Utilizes various testing devices such as frequency and data signal generators, transmission measuring sets, volt-ohm-meters, software programs, while installing and maintaining equipment, services and applications.
- Performs pre-survey to determine availability of equipment and facilities, to pretest circuits to ensure that conditioning requirements are met, and to review with customer work specified in the work order and the possibilities of utilizing existing facilities for upgrading/customizing services.
- Repairs, maintains, splices and performs conformance testing of subscriber line, carrier’s plant and/or fiber optic plant.
- When installing or repairing telephone services, connects equipment to inside cable and makes cross connections by connecting color coded wires.
- Joins repairs and rearranges cable conductors in utility holes.
- Makes necessary test for gas before entering utility hole.
- Must pump water and/or clean debris from utility hole. Locates, joins, repairs and rearranges cable and cable conductors in building and aerial or buried plant.
- Places, rearranges and/or removes all forms of outside plant, including but not limited to : underground cable, buried cable, conduit, aerial cable, fiber optics, inside wiring cable, intra-system cable, submarine cable, aerial wire, station wire and all associated hardware and equipment including carrier and fiber optic terminal equipment.
- Performs trouble isolation of transport customer and company communications components, cable and infrastructure form the customer’ s premise up to and including the central office/loop runner equipment.
- Runs cross-connects, check batteries to alarms and repairs equipment in SLC/HUT locations.
- All other duties as assigned.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Previous experience in provisioning, installing, and Maintaining E911/911, DS0/DS1/DS3 and above circuits.
- Previous experience conducting tests associated with the installation, repair, turn-up of T1 and HDSL spans for Hi-Cap and T1 Circuits. Copper and fiber outside plant.
- Basic electricity knowledge (through classes or on the job-related training) including: reading and interpreting circuit diagrams, equipment drawings, technical manuals, and AC/DC usage and measurements.
- Experience working in teams or alone problem solving, coordinating testing and troubleshooting customer lines or toll lines.
- Ability to read cable prints and maps.
- Ability to read and understand design services word docs.
- Experience working independently with little supervision.
- Experience meeting work deadlines.
- Customer Service experience face-to-face and over the phone.
- Ability to use a laptop as a testing and diagnostic tool.
- Previous experience working with WFA.
- Knowledge of hand tools, power tools, and test equipment such as Tberds, laptop, HST 3000, 965 DSP, Sidekick, Volt-ohm meter, oscilloscopes, transmission measuring sets or comparable testing equipment.
- Experience in connecting color coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables and buildings.
- Experience in working on a computer in Windows based systems and Microsoft Outlook.
- Working aloft on ladders.
- Experience in using a body belt and safety straps.
- Requires state driver’s license and current satisfactory driving record.
Other Requirements of Job:
- Work shifts are determined by seniority and may include pager duty, weekends, and late or overnight shifts.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to lifting and/or moving up to 75 lbs pounds.
- Installs, performs routine maintenance, analyzes defects, tests, adjusts, repairs and provide timely customer service.
- Must be willing to work POTS/HSI if required by workload.
- Uses test equipment and/or coordinates testing of customer lines with others including company and customer personnel, as well as with the assistance of the control and/or dispatch centers.
- Work Environment:
- Works outside in all weather conditions.
- Works inside customer businesses.
- Works in confined spaces including controlled environment vaults and utility holes.
- A minimum of twenty-four months experience within the last five years with these skills:
- Installing and repairing design services products such as DS0/DS1.
- Installing and repairing multiplexing equipment for business customers.
- Utilizing test equipment such as Laptop, Tberd, 965 DSP, and HST 3000
What to Expect Next
Based on your job application information you may be given the opportunity to complete a video interview immediately after applying. This will include a set of questions for you to record a response to in addition to Game Challenges. Completion of this video interview is a requirement in order to be considered for our open position. Now not a good time? No worries, we will also send you an email with a link to complete the video interview. We strongly recommend that you complete this within 5 days of your application date.
Requisition #: 273791
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, creed, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.