Requisition Number: 45970
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Purpose of the Position: We seek a Customer & Supplier Quality Engineer (C/SQE) who will work with other specialists, engineers and technical colleagues in a team environment to continue to develop and implement supplier and customer quality management for Automotive Glass Solutions (AGS) Exteriors. This role will work with the Division Quality System team, Global Supplier Management (GSM) and Commercial to ensure AGS has a complete and effective supplier management program for the automotive exteriors business. The Quality Engineer will have broad responsibilities driving supplier quality excellence for AGS exterior business and customer quality. You will be involved in Supplier audits, system/process development and implementation, supplier selection, qualification, monitoring and improvement, SCAR management, and ensuring the supplier management process meets IATF 16949 requirements. You will also visit customers on-site to deal with customer complaints that may involve onsite sorting and re-judgment. We will rely on you to maintain good relationships with customers and meet customer quality expectations.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Participate in and support division wide automotive exterior supplier management and qualification processes
- Work with commercial, GSM, and technical teams on continued development, implementation and improvement of the supplier management system
- Manage key suppliers, lead & support audits and manage supplier corrective actions
- Monitor supplier quality performance and lead supplier improvement efforts
- Support and/or lead the development and qualification of key Contract Manufacturers
- Educate suppliers on APQP for new projects, perform supplier process audits and new process/project qualification
- Review supplier PPAP documentation and approve supplier PSWs
- Prepare customer PPAP documentation for approval
- Visit AGS exteriors customers to build good relationships and deal with customer complaints in 8D report format
- Handle customer return merchandise authorizations (RMAs) and establish 3rd party sorting as needed
- Track customer quality and monitor performance
- Support internal assignments/projects
Travel Requirements: We anticipate approximately 25% Domestic & International travel; could be more based on projects
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, Math or Statistics
- Minimum of 3+ years of manufacturing experience, with some time spent in a quality role
- Effective project management skills; experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Flexibility, Ability to work in a dynamic environment while managing multiple priorities with a high sense of urgency
- Experience with IATF 16949 and ISO 9001
- Strong persuasion and negotiation skills as well as demonstrated creativity, vision and mature judgment in anticipating and resolving complex issues
- Ability to communicate effectively and lead through influence across the organization and with suppliers & customers
- Strong supplier interface experience and customer relationship management
- Ability to work independently and prioritize responsibilities
- Experience with IATF 16949.
- Highly motivated with a steadfast sense of urgency and keen attention to detail.
- Ability to drive tasks to closure and communicate effectively with different levels of organization
- Ability to present data and analysis in both verbal and written/graphical form that broad audiences can understand
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and specifications
- Experience with Six Sigma, MEE, PQA, Innovation, new product processes
- Microsoft Office skills
- Proficient in English. Good written and oral skills are important.
- Strong understanding of 8D methodology, APQP, PPAP, MSA, FMEA, SPC, and Control Plans
- Green Belt or Black Belt
- Experience in development of new business
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.