Join the Popular Team!
Founded in 1893, Popular Inc. has been built upon strong institutional values while providing broad financial services within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean.
We strive to create an extraordinary legacy with a passion for customer service, tremendous dedication to our employees, and strong partnerships in the communities where we reside. Come explore Popular – Our bottom line is you.
Commercial Credit – CRE
We are looking for a senior Commercial Real Estate Credit Analyst in SFL to provide commercial underwriting support to our Commercial Banking Team in New York, NY. In this position you will be responsible for the support of quality loan origination and the full assessment of CRE credits associated with Multifamily Residential Mortgages, Mixed-Use Mortgages, Commercial Mortgages and Construction Loans.
In this position, you will:
- Perform thorough evaluations on various types of commercial real estate of varying sizes, but mainly on assets greater than $5MM with most between $5MM to $20MM.
- Work with Relationship Managers to resolve property/borrower issues that arise during the underwriting process.
- Utilize financial models for real estate transactions and analyze the ratios and values produced by the models for preparation of credit approval memorandums.
- Conduct reviews of third-party reports including appraisals completed by third-party appraisers and Environmental reports. Review appraisals for accuracy and communicate with the bank’s in-house appraiser (in charge of the bank’s appraisal process) to resolve deficiencies on the report with third-party appraisers.
- Analyze loans relative to the loan structure, cash flow (historical and projected), rent rolls and leases, collateral, market/neighborhood, guarantor, and overall strengths and weaknesses of the deal. For construction loans, analyze the Development Project, Developer’s experience, Construction Budget and Engineer’s Plan and Cost Report, among others.
- Provide opinions as to the creditworthiness of the Borrower and assess the Borrower’s appropriate risk rating based on the bank’s criteria.
- Prepare well-organized, thorough, and concise written credit memorandums on new loans, renewals, extension, and modifications for approval.
- Participate in weekly Credit Pipeline meeting to provide status on assigned deals.
- Assist in portfolio management activities such as completing Annual Financial Updates and Loan Management Reports on existing borrowers.
- Perform other underwriting related activities as directed by the Senior Credit Officer including screening new deals, among others.
To be considered, you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. MBA or CFA a plus.
- Minimum 5-7 years of current experience in Commercial Real Estate Underwriting required. Construction underwriting experience a plus. C&I experience (with owner-occupied Real Estate) a plus.
Computer literate; fluency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel analysis required.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Effective report writing and other written communication skills.
- Detailed-oriented and organized.
- Ability to solve problems, make decisions, juggle underwriting of multiple deals, prioritize tasks, and meet required deadlines.
- Ability to highlight loan risks or any problems or questions during the deal underwriting phase and prior to finalizing the analysis.
- Ability to make decisions quickly and confidently based upon the analysis.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Clear verbal communication with internal customers as well as external customers and third-party participants (as needed).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships both internally and externally.
Please consider joining our DYNAMIC, friendly team! It takes only a few minutes to check-out this great opportunity and apply!
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To learn more about Popular, visit our website at www.popularbank.com.
Connect with us!