Role Value Proposition:
This counsel will provide legal advice to MetLife’s Group Benefits Business, primarily with respect to Global Employee Benefits (GEB) and Distribution. The attorney will primarily advise on the business needs of MetLife’s GEB business and leverage internal and external resources to ensure that GEB has consistent access to effective legal support. The attorney will also advise on MetLife’s distribution arrangements with brokers, consultants, and other intermediaries.
- Provide legal support in connection with (i) products and services that MetLife Worldwide Benefits offers to group customers with expatriate and other globally-mobile employees, primarily through Delaware American Life Insurance Company (DelAm), including life, disability, dental, vision and medical insurance; (ii) GEB’s centers of excellence that share best practices among the employee benefits businesses in MetLife’s regional operations, providing a horizontal view of this segment across the enterprise; (ii) global pooling, captive and reporting solutions that MetLife offers to multinational companies through its MAXIS joint venture with AXA; and (iv) MetLife’s Distribution Development and Benefits Delivery organization.
- Draft or review a variety of documents, including contracts, broker compensation programs, regulatory filings, policyholder notices and other communications and marketing materials.
- Conduct or coordinate legal research in a variety of international and domestic jurisdictions regarding life, accident and health, including medical insurance, privacy and data security, and licensing requirements.
- Help design and negotiate innovative structures, including transnational services arrangements and joint ventures, that enable the GEB business to operate in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Assess and communicate legal and regulatory risks associated with GEB and U.S. Distribution and counsel the business partners on ways to effectively mitigate such risks.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Law degree (J.D. or equivalent) and bar admission required with a minimum 3 years of relevant legal experience, preferably with a strong record of in-house success
- Knowledge in most or all of the following areas: group insurance, employee benefits, medical insurance, foreign/comparative law, non-admitted insurance law, ERISA, licensing, reinsurance and broker issues
- Ability to handle complex legal matters with oversight while escalating significant issues in a timely fashion
- Sound judgment, a high degree of professionalism, and an ability to prioritize and adhere to deadlines
- Communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders (corporate business partners, team members, functional colleagues, customers etc.), works collaboratively and builds effective partnerships
- Experience working with counsel in a variety of international jurisdictions, including civil law countries
- Cross cultural skills and the ability to communicate effectively with non-native English speakers
Legal Affairs – U.S. Insurance Law
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.”
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $659.6 billion of total assets under management as of December 31, 2020. We are ranked #48 on the Fortune 500 list for 2020. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world. Visit us at www.metlife.com to learn more about our brand, history, and values.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Employee Relations Department at 1-877-843-3711.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.