When you join New York Life, you’re joining a company that values development, career growth, collaboration, innovation, and diversity & inclusion. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. Through various resources and programs, you can grow your career while developing personally and professionally.
New York Life is seeking a highly qualified individual to lead the overall underwriting strategy and operations for its long-term care (LTC) and individual disability income (IDI) products. We would consider a remote hire for this opportunity.
As a new position, the Head of Morbidity Underwriting will have the unique and challenging opportunity to work with two teams – an established LTC underwriting team and a new IDI underwriting team – to develop a cohesive morbidity underwriting team. This position will be part of the leadership teams of both the LTC and IDI businesses. This individual will work with colleagues at all levels across functional lines as well as New York Life’s partners (e.g., third-party administrator (TPA), reinsurer). This position requires someone with extensive morbidity underwriting experience, excellent management and decision-making ability, the capability to effectively work collaboratively with others, and an entrepreneurial drive to execute on both day-to-day priorities and longer-term goals. New York, NY, or Austin, TX are the preferred location for this position.
• Develop the overall underwriting strategy for LTC and IDI products, including underwriting goals (operational, customer, employee, financial) and governance (roles, responsibilities, processes, procedures)
• Manage the overall underwriting operations for the LTC and IDI products, including underwriting managers, quality control / assurance activities and underwriting budgets and projects
• Ensure LTC and IDI underwriting operations meet all regulatory and compliance standards
• Collaborate with the leadership of the LTC and IDI businesses to ensure that the underwriting strategy and operations supports the businesses’ goals
• Partner with technology teams to identify and implement technology solutions to support underwriting
• Manage relationship with underwriting leaders at TPAs, reinsurers and other underwriting vendors
• Collaborate with distribution (agency) on a regular basis to solicit feedback and promote the LTC and IDI product lines
• Partner with actuarial and medical teams on changes to LTC and IDI underwriting guidelines based on actual experience studies and loss ratios
• Create an environment that supports the professional development and training of the LTC and IDI underwriting teams
• Keep current on LTC and IDI underwriting developments; evaluate changes in LTC and IDI underwriting market practices and initiate appropriate responses
• Continuously provide insights and feedback to identify superior solutions for LTC and IDI underwriting operations
• Identify innovative solutions to improve overall agent and customer experience
• Bachelor’s degree required; underwriting designations FLMI, RHU, FALU not required, but helpful
• Minimum of fifteen years of experience in morbidity focused underwriting (LTC, IDI) and at least seven years of experience in management
• Extensive experience in handling complex morbidity underwriting cases; proven ability to evaluate financial, medical and occupational information to determine the most appropriate underwriting offer; strong working knowledge of medical terminology and awareness of how various medical impairments interact and effect individual morbidity risk
• Experience developing morbidity guidelines
• Experience working closely with medical directors, accounting / tax and legal resources as needed
• Broad experience in managing complex underwriting operations (including working with a TPA), ensuring service and regulatory standards are maintained
• Ability to understand the impact of product form, riders, distribution, regulation, claim management and pricing have on underwriting rules and decisions
• Experience developing, documenting, implementing and auditing underwriting procedures
• Strong communication (written and oral) skills, including drafting and presenting documents to senior management and other stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with individuals at all levels of seniority on cross functional teams, as well as work individually
• Strong business acumen and execution skills
• Proven team building skills
Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by our Foundation. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
Job Requisition ID: 83314