Requisition Number: 43798
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Purpose of the Position
Corning Incorporated is a world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, focusing on keystone components that enable high-technology systems for consumer electronics, mobile emissions control, telecommunications and life sciences. Corning’s Manufacturing, Technology, and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence and innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to existing and emerging businesses. MTE-Asia division is seeking a Control Systems engineer to support development of new processes, optimization of existing processes, and utilization of modern process controls strategies to improve our manufacturing processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Design, develop and implement process controls solutions for Engineering and Manufacturing processes.
- Evaluate existing control strategies and propose enhancements. Optimize or retrofit existing processes through modern control strategies such as optimal control, robust control, adaptive control, or model predictive control.
- Work closely with manufacturing to define appropriate controls hardware platforms/systems for implementing process control solutions Develop and apply process controls skills to implement solutions in PLC/DCS environments.
- Implement, test, and troubleshoot developed process control strategies.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of existing processes to identify process control optimization opportunities and write proposals to initiate control projects.
- Work with process subject matter experts and apply process data analysis skills to gain fundamental understanding of manufacturing processes.
- Work closely with experienced professionals in multi-disciplined teams to design, develop and implement solutions for manufacturing processes
- Utilize statistical analysis to design for process capability
- Lead projects and work in a multi-disciplinary research, development, and engineering environment to identify opportunities for advanced controls.
- Leverage optimization techniques to improve process performance and efficiency.
- Facilitate the transfer of new process control technologies into manufacturing and provide training to manufacturing and engineering personnel.
- Document process control finding in technical reports. Generate intellectual property through invention disclosures and patent applications.
Education and Experience
- PhD in Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering related majors with heavy coursework focus on Advanced Controls, Data Analytics or Optimization
- PhD from top universities in US, Europe & Asia highly preferred
- Familiarity with a diverse array of process controls technologies such as model predictive, multi-variable, non-linear approaches, and classic PID control
- Experience in practical application of process control, including process data analysis, system modeling/identification, and control loop design/tuning
- Programming experience in Matlab and C/C++ or C#
- Experience in statistical analysis methods such as PCA or PLS
- Ability to work in a manufacturing environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong process-oriented mindset, be able to understand process dynamics and design appropriate control scheme
- Strong verbal and written skills in English, able to prepare and present proposal effectively
- Functions well on projects and team initiatives as well as independent assignments. Results-oriented individual with a track record of meeting commitments and managing time well.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing environment; be a change agent to help others through change