Join the Popular Team!
Founded in 1893, Popular Inc. has been built upon strong institutional values while providing broad financial services within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean.
We strive to create an extraordinary legacy with a passion for customer service, tremendous dedication to our employees, and strong partnerships in the communities where we reside. Come explore Popular – Our bottom line is you.
US B Regulatory Compliance
We are looking for an experienced Compliance Officer, to join our US Compliance Team. The right candidate will actively oversee and support the compliance management program of Popular Bank through various compliance activities across multiple lines of business, retail branches, and operating departments. This position can be based in Miami Lakes, FL or New York, NY. May include flexible work arrangements depending on the location of the ideal candidate.
In this position, you will:
- Participate in and contribute to the execution of Popular’s Compliance Management Program, ensuring alignment with Corporate Compliance Division and/or applicable strategic initiatives
- Serve as a resource to business units, internal team members, and management providing a range of support and analysis on regulatory compliance requirements, issues, and/or best practices, including the provision of guidance in the design, development and/or enhancement of processes and controls to effectively manage and mitigate compliance risks. Recommend policy and/or action based on internal and external industry developments for area of responsibility
- Serve as the subject matter expert for Popular Bank on all lending and/or mortgage compliance related matters
- Perform regulatory research in response to business unit compliance inquiries. Assist/support the business units on the implementation of new and amended laws and regulations
- Identify and escalate potential compliance issues requiring management attention and support resolution of same
- Advise and consult on proposed new products, services, and initiatives regarding compliance obligations and corresponding compliance risks, and mitigating controls
- Provide support with regulatory compliance examinations, and/or compliance audits or reviews
- Review marketing materials, disclosures, and other customer communications subject to consumer protection regulations for compliance
- Manage the complaint process for the compliance department, including oversight of the responses to consumer complaints received directly from the regulatory agencies. Collaborate with business units to facilitate analysis of compliance complaints to determine root causes, trends, and planned remediation activities
- Advise and support the business lines in the establishment and execution of action plans to address compliance deficiencies, findings, and/or recommendations of examiners, internal audits, and self-identified issues
- Provide support to management in the execution of the compliance training program, including reviewing proposed training materials, drafting training materials, and conducting training as needed
- Provide thought leadership and subject matter expertise for compliance issues, including establishing and overseeing compliance strategy within his/her areas of focus/expertise
- Employ a risk-based approach to compliance oversight within areas of focus. Proactively identifies and addresses compliance risks within such areas
- Perform other duties as assigned
To be considered, you will need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or related field is required
- CRCM designation or JD preferred
- Minimum 7-10 +years performing relevant regulatory compliance functions in the banking industry, and in-depth knowledge of applicable federal and state deposit and lending laws and regulations, included but not limited to Reg. DD, Reg. E, Reg. CC, ECOA, RESPA, TILA, HMDA, & FCRA with significant lending and/or mortgage compliance experience required
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate effectively with senior level management
- Ability to consistently work independently and drive change within his/her areas of focus
- Excellent project management and organization skills, including ability to handle multiple projects at the same time while attentive to details and effectively meeting aggressive deadlines
- Outstanding analytical and highly developed critical thinking skills including the ability to analyze complex laws and regulations and relate those laws to compliance and/or operational procedures, company policies, and industry trends
- Proficient in MS Office
- Travel on occasion will be required
Please consider joining our DYNAMIC, friendly team! It takes only a few minutes to check-out this great opportunity and apply!
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To learn more about Popular, visit our website at www.popularbank.com.
Connect with us!
We reaffirm our commitment to offer essential financial services and solutions for our customers at all times, including during emergency situations and/or natural disasters. Popular’s employees are considered essential workers, whose role is critical in the continuity of these important services even under such circumstances. By applying to this position, you acknowledge that Popular may require your services during and immediately after any such events.