Requisition Number: 45196
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Corning Automotive Glass Solutions is hiring a Commercial Technology Project Manager to support our Global Customner Base, with a special emphasis to the German OEMs, and the broader European customer base – OEM’s, and Tier-X’s.
Responsibilities: Ongoing – Primary:
- Lead and manage global technical service offerings, coordinate with matrixed stakeholders.
- Interact on commercial technology with OEM’s and value chain (Tier-X), both direct customers and finishers.
- Provide technical leadership in trouble-shooting for process upsets or customer concerns/needs around the technology, supporting sales / commercial people and application engineers.
- Travel to plants or to customers to assist and/or lead in problem solving.
- Identify and develop new business opportunities
Responsibilities: Ongoing – other:
- Prime resource for the technical capabilities and direction for the business: Provides technical leadership to technology projects, including expansions, attribute improvement and product or process development; identifies technical gaps and opportunities and identifies and/or grows technologies that may have applications or opportunities across other Corning businesses.
- Build/maintain extensive technical network both within and outside of the company: Close collaboration with business, R&D, manufacturing, supply chain (predominantly US and Asia); communicates across the organization and businesses to ensure understanding of technical issues, the business impact, and engage critical people resources in problem solving; interfaces with S&T on innovations, new technical approaches and helps transfer new technologies to the manufacturing environment.
- Explain technology to non-technical leaders and plant people (internal & at customer) to improve understanding of capabilities and potential issues: Engages with plant engineering staff to review problem solving techniques, data and experimental approaches; consults and guides strategy development teams and/or leadership to make sure products can be manufactured with the current or proposed equipment; demonstrates mastery in, and is able to teach the use of the scientific method to determine root cause of defects and fix process problems as well as associated tools.
- Collect Voice-of-Customer for specific concepts – Develop industry roadmap which will then feed into attribute roadmap
- Competitive and market analysis
- Attend and exhibit / present at technical conferences, exhibitions and industry forums
- Organize and lead technical exchange meetings / road shows / technology days
- At least Bachelor’s technical degree, engineering
- The ideal candidate would have a technical degree (Masters, Dipl.-Ing. or PhD) in physics, optics, glass science.
- The candidate should be willing and ready to travel at least 40% of the time, basically within Europe as well as for trainings and meetings back and forth to Corning, USA and Asia.
- Typical travel is 20%-70%, depending on actual situation, plus a personalized training for up to 6 weeks in the US and potentially Asia.
- Typical travel can range from day trips to multi-week travel.
- Flexible, strong communication skills, team player, able to prioritize, highly self-motivated, can work without close supervision.
- Can live with the current matrix organization.
- A personal interest in the industry and technology is important.
- The candidate should have experience in at least one, but preferably multiple of the following fields, for at least one year: optics industry (optical materials, optical coatings, optical testing), glass science (characterization, fractography), mechanical engineering and testing in the automotive field (FEA modeling, material properties, HIT testing), automotive engineering (PPAP, automotive quality standards, series and pre-series engineering)
- German and English, fluent in conversation and correspondence with a strong emphasis on technical language.
- Additional experience in other languages, preferably French and/or Italian would be beneficial.