This is the job opportunity that could change your career. At Carilion Clinic, our team provides support for clinical and medical staff in a forward-thinking environment. You will thrive through extensive training, supportive leaders and potential for advancement. Carilion offers comprehensive benefits, paid time off, and tuition options. Join a team where your skills and ideas will make a difference in the health of our patients and the communities we live in.
The Clinical Assistant is accountable for performing office or clinical job responsibilities as needed for the department, provides support for clinical and medical staff in the delivery of quality medical care, and assists with patient care as directed by the physician and clinical staff within scope of training.
The job duties of the Clinical Assistant include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare patient for physician/provider evaluation, including obtaining specimens, positioning for exams, listing medications, assisting during exams and procedures.
- Collect patient information to include height, weight, vital signs, chief complaint, current medications, etc.
- Document patient information in the electronic medical record; update information as indicated; record appointments of referrals and diagnostic studies; complete requisitions for lab, x-ray, etc.
- Maintain work area, exam, treatment and x-ray rooms and lab in a clean, safe manner; restock with supplies and instruments; sterilize reusable equipment as needed.
- Observe all safety precautions and standards; assures proper disposal of specimens and contaminated waste.
- Greets patients and assists with check-in/check-out procedures.
- Answers phones; schedules appointments; and receives/relays messages.
- Registration: Ensures all insurance, demographic, and eligibility information is obtained and entered into the appropriate system(s) accurately and in accordance with established procedures. Ensures patient signatures are obtained on all necessary documents.
- Collects co-payments, deductibles, and other self-pay amounts at time of service.
- Maintains cash box and receipt books: receiving payments on accounts, daily balancing of cash drawer and credit card receipts, as applicable.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: One year experience in physician office preferred but not required. Previous experience in direct patient care, data processing, multi-line telephones, registration and/or medical insurance experience desirable.
Licensure/Certification: AHA BLS-HCP required within 6 months of hire. Certified Nursing Assistant preferred by some practices.
Other: Effective interpersonal, communication, and team-working skills required. Must be organized and self -motivated. Must have knowledge of office procedure and equipment. Must become proficient in use of electronic medical record. Clerical, medical terminology knowledge preferred.
Below are our core values that we strive to embody and expect of all our team members:
Collaboration: Working together with purpose to achieve shared goals.
Commitment: Unwavering in our quest for exceptional quality and service.
Compassion: Putting heart into everything we do.
Courage: Doing what’s right for our patients without question.
Curiosity: Fostering creativity and innovation in our pursuit of excellence.
Requisition Number: 83433
Employment Status: Full time
Location: VelocityCare – Roanoke
Shift: Variable Hours
Shift Details: Open Sunday through Saturday 8am to 11pm, shifts will vary, At least 1 WE shift per month
Recruiter: REBECCA MINOR
Recruiter Phone: 540-983-4005
Recruiter Email: Rminor@carilionclinic.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
This is Carilion Clinic …
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.