|City:||Prince George, BC, Canada|
|Location:||Northwood Pulp (BC18)|
Canfor’s strength comes from the diversity of our skilled and resilient workforce. As our company continues to grow and diversify, so do our career opportunities. Let us take this opportunity to tell you how you could be the best fit for Canfor.
Canfor is currently seeking a Co-op Clean Energy student. The successful candidate will primarily be involved in expanding the energy management program at each of the pulp mills. Strategic Energy Management Plans (SEMP) are currently in place and the focus will be on working towards meeting the objectives laid out in these plans.
In this role, the co-op student will work independently and as a team member with the opportunity for input from a variety of resources including experienced professional engineers, mill operators and maintenance personnel.
The successful applicant will gain practical experience in various aspects of engineering and energy management working in an industrial setting. You will also be responsible for the following tasks and activities:
- Screening of various process systems to identify ones that justify formal energy studies, and to evaluate the results from studies that have been completed to date. Pump systems will be a focus in addition to fans and steam/condensate systems.
- This role will involve completing calculations using spreadsheets and/or software specific for completing a system analysis:
- Working with the Production Teams, identify, document, and analyze existing operating parameters with respect to energy use.
- Propose new operating conditions/parameters for potential energy savings.
- Work with the Energy Team to expand the employee awareness program.
- Work with Energy and Production Teams to develop Energy Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and reports to support the Strategic Energy Management Plans.
- Perform and assist in audits and engineering studies to identify opportunities for energy savings.
- Assist the engineering department in implementing and commissioning energy projects.
- Investigate the potential for energy savings during maintenance shutdowns.
- Bring forward new technologies and energy related opportunities to the management group for consideration.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong PC skills.
- Previous Pulp mill experience or other industrial experience an asset.
- Minimum 3rd or 4th year engineering student in Mechanical, Chemical or the electrical fields.
- Preference will be given to Clean Energy Engineering Program Masters Students and others with a proven strong interest in demand side energy management.
At Canfor, diversity means understanding, recognizing and valuing the differences that make each person unique. We see inclusion and diversity as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, innovation and competitive advantage. We strive for a fair and equitable recruitment process, where hiring decisions are based on the individual qualifications and experience of each applicant.
We are not your run of the mill forest products company, join us and find out why. #canfortalent
Prince George, BC
Known as BC’s Northern Capital, Prince George is city that offers big city comfort and convenience, but small town serenity and sensibilities. As the largest city in northern BC, Prince George is a hub of industry, offering numerous employment opportunities and is home to the University of Northern British Columbia. This region’s temperate climate creates a lush environment of emerald-green forests and ample opportunities for outdoor activity. For more information, visit http://canfor.com/our-company/our-communities/prince-george