Requisition ID: 235271
Requisition Posting End Date: 06/17/2021
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values –ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants –integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
The ML2 Project involves the design and construction of a launch platform for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). The purpose of ML2, located at Kennedy Space Center (KSC), is to provide a launch platform for the Space Launch System (SLS), an advanced launch vehicle that will fill America’s need for deep space missions. ML2 includes many different subsystems that must operate and fit within the constraints of the structure and provide a physical interface with KSC launch sites’ ground systems.
Project work schedules are subject to change and may require employees to work overtime, weekends, holidays and/or night shift when a business need arises.
Eligibility for this position requires US citizenship or current Green Card holder. Candidate must complete security questionnaire and successfully clear site access requirements check. All employees are subject and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment. Must be able to obtain a security clearance, as applicable.
Steel Superintendent – Job Overview:
This position will be assigned to the construction function and based in the field on the NS&E ML2 Project located at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The candidate will be responsible for structural steel erection and supervise direct hire union steel activities.
- Responsible for leading/supervising the direct hire craft professional workforce within the steel discipline.
- Responsible for effective direct-hire execution of steel activities – steel offloading, steel material handling, steel erection, steel connections, grating/checker plate, handrail, cutting, welding, and rigging.
- Provide leadership and accountability for the safety, accident prevention, and environmental protection programs on the project.
- Actively participates in scheduled safety meetings.
- Reviews workforce requirements and helps prepare craft requisitions for the structural steel program.
- Determine tools, equipment and material requirements for the direct hire craft.
- Prepare short and long-term schedules for structural steel erection, review work accomplished by craft professionals.
- Monitors work activities and ensure the quality of work performed is in accordance with specifications and schedules.
- Ensure the most current design documentation is being utilized to complete activities.
- Daily review of steel direct hire craft personnel charging practices and daily/weekly reporting of quantities installed.
- Interface with other discipline superintendents, field engineers and subcontractors to ensure work is performed according to schedule and budget.
- Monitor and be accountable for actual work performance compared to the project budget and schedule.
- Coordinate activities with other disciplines and as instructed by the Lead Steel Superintendent.
- Perform personnel evaluations on craft personnel.
- Coordinates with Field Engineering on the development of Field Change Notices and/or Nonconformance Reports.
- Prepares Field Material Requisitions for tools and consumables and ensures that the crafts have the tools they require to be productive.
- Responsible for the implementation of corporate/project policies, procedures and instructions within assigned operations.
- Ensures construction site cleanliness and housekeeping requirements are met.
- Enforce job site work rule compliance.
- Knowledge of steel construction operations.
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s Zero Accident Philosophy.
- Knowledge of the Project ES&H Handbook, the Supervisors ES&H Manual, the Project Safety Management Plan and the Bechtel Core Processes.
- Knowledge of supervisory functions relating to steel field activities.
- Knowledge of Standard Work Process Procedures (SWPPs).
- Knowledge of OSHA subpart R steel erection.
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications in accordance with current Bechtel Standard Application Program (BSAP) standards.
- Demonstrated leadership in a team-based environment.
- B.S. Degree in Engineering or similar and at least 9 years of experience in field supervision, construction, design engineering and/or related experience or in lieu of a degree, 15 years of experience in field steel supervision and steel construction.
- Must have experience working with and supervising the Direct Hire workforce.
- Must have experience working with and supervising USA Building Trades Unions.
- Must be a US Citizen or Green Card holder.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain any security clearances required for this position
- Responsible for managing craft personnel in adherence to the Project Labor Agreement (PLA).
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check, including verification of employment, education and travel.
- Must be physically capable to conduct field inspections and participate in project walk-downs requiring the following activities: extensive walking in and around a construction site, climbing ladders, climbing scaffolding, walking on elevated platforms, walking on uneven surfaces, climbing in very small and/or confined spaces, and lifting up to 40 lbs.
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Previous experience and understanding of labor relations and construction management functions on a construction project.
- Must be able to effectively deal with unusual and unclear personnel situations in a positive manner.
- Requires the ability to receive direction from multiple sources and effectively establish priorities.
- Knowledge of the organizational structure and work practices of labor unions.
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet and technical database applications.
- Demonstrated commitment to Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H).
- Demonstrated commitment to a Zero Accident safety program.
- Technical knowledge and experience with cranes, rigging, rigging complex structures, jacking, shoring and large crane assembly/disassembly.
- Work experience as a steel superintendent leading to an understanding of the technical knowledge described above.
- Ability to teach basic rigging fundamentals.
- Recent Bechtel experience as a Steel Superintendent or Lead Steel Superintendent at an EPC Project
- Working knowledge of the Bechtel Standard Work Processes Procedures (SWPPs) and the related Bechtel Standard application Programs (BSAPs) utilized by Construction
- Bechtel competent person rigger (CPR)
- Prior experience with modularization and module construction
- Current or prior member of the Ironworkers Union
- Demonstrated experience erecting and constructing complicated steel structures – bolted and welded.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.