The Pensacola Mill is currently seeking a Capital Project Engineer to work in our Engineering Department.
The Capital Project Engineer is a technical resource within the Engineering Department of our Maintenance Organization in a fully integrated pulp and paper mill. The Capital Engineer provides safety, technical and leadership direction to capital projects and the capital project development process. This position delivers sustainable results across the life cycle of the capital investment. In addition to managing the capital investment process of industrial equipment, this position will also have responsibility for civil and mechanical engineering projects. The position reports to the Engineering Manager.
The Capital Engineer will work closely with a variety of different areas throughout the mill including operations, maintenance, technical, and management.
- Provide visible and active leadership in delivering excellent safety results
- Identify and implement capital solutions to improve safety, reliability, and/or quality issues
- Accountable to deliver success from project development through project implementation
- Engage project customers including business unit and other mill leaders throughout the process to ensure department and mill objectives are addressed and to deliver world class results
- Meet and/or exceed financial and timeline objectives, including start-up and operation at or above project goals
- Manage multiple projects at any given time
- Coordinate project execution and develop strong relationships with regional engineering organization (REO) staff engineers
- Approve design for all engineering phases throughout capital project process
- Review bid proposals and planned work spending to ensure maximum value is achieved
- Serve as a contractor owner’s rep as required
- Supports development and execution of multi-year capital plan, as well as ensuring progress vs. plan for timely project completion
- Implements and improves systems necessary to sustain world class capital project processes (e.g. GMS, IP Project Delivery Process, Design for Reliability Process)
- Support 5S program for the area and drive improvement projects, audit systems, and excellent results
- Identify and implement cost reduction strategies that reduce the cost of ownership
- Provide support for capital project development and implementation
- Implement systems to improve/sustain results
- Provide support for budgeting cycle targeted at delivering year over year savings
- Fulfill weekend duty team leadership role for Maintenance or assigned Business Units
- Develop P&IDs, loop sheets, and mechanical flow sheets
- Perform process simulations and develop process flow diagrams
- Perform sizing calculations for process equipment, piping, in-line instruments, valves, and pipelines
- Prepare data sheets for instruments and specialty items.
- Collaborate with other disciplines on VFD, DCS, and PLC designs to support project requirements
- Coordinate with other disciplines to ensure an integrated design that meets the project requirements
- Gather data, including site surveys and existing conditions data
- Perform troubleshooting and/or de-bottlenecking of existing facilities to optimize production
- Develop or alter standard project specifications to meet specific project requirements
- Coordinate and direct drafters in the creation of drawings
- Review of design and engineering data (drawings and other documents) to verify completeness and accuracy
- Analyze designs for efficiency of construction, use of materials, integrity and practicality of design
- Review certain vendor / fabricator quotations, shop drawings, and related submittals
- Perform the necessary field work to obtain accurate information for the design
- Provide construction and startup assistance.
Successful candidate should have the ability to:
- Instill safety as a core value within the team and effectively communicate a shared vision for safety
- Quickly develop thorough knowledge of mill equipment and systems
- Utilize excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate to groups and individuals at all levels
- Approach positional responsibilities in an inclusive manner by engaging all team members in area, department, and mill
- Utilize the International Paper Change Process to drive change
- Support Manufacturing Excellence (ME) process and utilize ME tools when appropriate
- Utilize strong organizational skills to manage multiple projects effectively
Five (5) years post college experience required with project engineering experience preferred. Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, or Civil) is required; equivalent practical experience managing capital projects may be considered. Successful candidates must have thorough knowledge and experience utilizing Microsoft Office and computer based project management systems. Supervisory experience is required with preference given to candidates with experience managing a project engineering team. Experience working in a fully integrated paper mill is a plus. Maintenance experience with reliability aptitude Is preferred. PE license is preferred.
Position level may vary based on experience.
Action Oriented, Timely Decision Making, Decision Quality, Organizing, Planning, Informing, Perseverance, Priority Setting, Problem Solving, Drive For Results, Time Management, Customer Focus, Integrity & Trust, Interpersonal Savvy, Listening, Peer Relationships, Dealing with Ambiguity, Functional/Technical Skills, Learning on the Fly, Self-Development, Technical Learning
“International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans“