Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
Take command of your success as you deliver the future with advanced technologies! We offer exceptional paid training, an inclusive empowering work environment, state-of-the-art tools, and innovative team culture. We have the vision, ambition, and practical know-how to succeed! We also offer medical, dental, vision coverage in addition to paid training and a company-matched 401k plan.
POSTING CLOSES 1/25/2022
The Main Responsibilities
- Maintains/repairs and tests copper cable and/or fiber optic cable in an underground, aerial, or buried environment.
- Maintains, expand, replace and repair all plant facilities and subscriber apparatus required to provide service to customers.
- Troubleshoots problems that will require cable repair, cable maintenance, air pressure, splicing, faultfinding, etc.
- Makes splicing rearrangements on existing facilities in buried, underground, aerial and building work locations. Uses heavy-duty power equipment (e.g., compressors, pumps, blowers), hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters), in the construction and repair of outside plant facilities.
- Performs testing and turn-up of subscriber lines, carrier plant, and/or fiber optic plant.
- Locates and repairs air leaks in aerial, underground, and/or buried cable.
- Locates, joins, repairs and rearranges cable and cable conductors in buildings and aerial or buried plant.
- Initiates or performs cable cuts, transfer projects, and/or load balance cuts, and issues necessary cuts to prevent blocking.
- Installs, maintains/repairs, and tests residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS and DSL).
- Connects wires and cables to terminals, and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Performs continuity and/or conformance testing.
- Reads and interprets customer service orders, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc.
- Receives service orders, worksheets (detailed diagrams describing the nature and location of equipment to be installed or repaired), and repair tickets from supervisor or other designated employees and performs specified work.
- Works with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- Interact directly with Lumen customers and support sales efforts through YouCan.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must have basic AC/DC knowledge.
- Must have basic knowledge of subscriber carrier.
- Must be knowledgeable in the efficient operation of test equipment used to verify cable faults.
- Must have a basic ability to read cable plats and schematics.
- Must know the telephone industry-standard color code and have the ability to splice aerial, buried and underground cable.
- Must have the physical ability to climb utility poles using pole climbers.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience as a plant technician.
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Physical ability to climb poles.
- Includes seeing, sitting, standing, hearing, walking, speaking, climbing, writing, lifting, carrying, driving, and being in attendance.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces.
What to Expect Next
Based on your job application information you may be given the opportunity to complete a video interview immediately after applying. This will include a set of questions for you to record a response to in addition to Game Challenges. Completion of this video interview is a requirement in order to be considered for our open position. Now not a good time? No worries, we will also send you an email with a link to complete the video interview. We strongly recommend that you complete this within 5 days of your application date.
Requisition #: 274851
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, creed, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.