Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Director Business Strategy, Long Distance Service Line (LDSL) is responsible for leading strategic analysis and evaluation and development of initiatives focused on long-term opportunities impacting the LDSL. The Director is the primary leader of cross-organizational efforts addressing LDSL fleet strategy, network initiatives, and investments in product improvements focused on the LD customer experience. The Director is a direct report to the VP, LDSL and will collaborate internally with the LDSL team, Financial Analysis, Strategic & Fleet Planning, Government Affairs, Real Estate/Facilities, Operations/Mechanical and Schedule & Consist Planning colleagues. External relationships may include rail car manufacturers, government authorities including Federal Railroad Administration (FRA,) and rail advocacy groups including the Rail Passengers Association (RPA).
• Monitor and evaluate ongoing financial performance of LDSL, and identify opportunities for performance improvement
• Develop analyses to identify LDSL network optimization opportunities, and work with colleagues in the organization to pursue and implement leveraged and strategic initiatives
• Develop long-term fleet investment and replacement strategies
• Evaluate other LDSL network growth opportunities in collaboration with Planning teams
• Evaluate and optimize selection of cities / stations served on LDSL routes
• Identify opportunities to leverage and improve LD customer experience at stations in the network, and prioritize initiatives with Real Estate / Stations team
• Develop customer-focused initiatives and product offerings requiring fleet-related or station-related investments
• Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation, Business, Economics or related fields, or equivalent combination of education and training/experience
• 11 years work experience in rigorous analytical environment including development of financially justified business investment cases
• Strong financial analysis skill set including understanding of P/L reporting and metrics, and capital investment evaluation
• Strategic analysis in a network environment and experience with demand forecasting, customer service analytics and competitive analysis
• Leadership experience in commercial, financial or customer service environment
• Experience with sourcing and evaluating financial and operational information from diverse corporate and market data repositories
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Self-motivated and self-directed, able to define and pursue key objectives
• Collaborative work style and experience in working with cross-functional teams and numerous stakeholders
• Strong written and verbal communication skills including ability to prepare and make effective presentations to senior leadership
• Ability to effectively facilitate change and innovation
• Ability to communicate complex concepts at all levels
• Curious, ambitious, eager to make a difference
• Strong emotional intelligence
• Strong skills in Microsoft Office products (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook, Teams)
• MBA or other advanced degree in Transportation Planning, Engineering or Economics
• 13 years leadership experience in analytical and strategic work environment
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Marketing || Corporate Jobs