Join the diverse and dynamic team that powers Michigan’s largest energy provider and one of the nation’s largest gas and electric combination utilities. Consumers Energy services 6.7 million of Michigan’s 10 million residents – caring for our friends and neighbors in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties. We embrace a cleaner and leaner utility vision focused on eliminating energy waste and adding renewable energy from sources such as wind and solar.
At Consumers Energy, we offer more than just a place to work. We foster a culture that supports career development, growth, and stability, and we take pride in offering our co-workers excellent benefits and compensation packages. We are deliberately creating an inclusive culture that makes our diverse team of co-workers feel valued, supported, and empowered every day. We’re a company made up of thousands of people, all with different stories to share and work to do, but we stand united in our company purpose: world class performance delivering hometown service.
The Gas Ops Financial Analyst is responsible for supporting the development of and monitoring financial forecasts and budgeting processes for assigned programs within Gas Operations.
Responsibilities include analyzing results, identifying variances, and providing guidance to business partners. In addition, the Financial Analyst supports program managers with the development of long-term financial plans ensuring alignment between workplans and financial goals.
This role reports to the Gas Ops Financial Services Manager.
The key responsibilities of this role are to:
- Interface with business partners to determine and review budget, forecasts, cash flow projections, variances, identify budget risks and gap analysis. Work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality “Internal Customer Service”.
- Month-end close process including accruals, journal entries, and variance explanations
- Support the Monthly Governance process and activities
- Support Annual LTFP Budget Process and Flex Plan processes and activities
- Conduct accounting studies (joint expense and gas cost allocations), collaborate with property accounting
- Support the development and implementation of standardization of financial work processes, continuous improvement by automating and leveraging technology and process protocol across Gas Operations areas to support the Company’s strategic goals.
- Support financial reporting, consolidated financial reporting and audit responses
- Maintain SAP cost center and program structures along with internal order management
- Assist with rate case filings and discovery responses as required
- Interact with internal and external clients to identify, research, and analyze situations
- Strategic Financial Alignment
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, related area or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of related work experience
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with business customers, managers & directors, and members of the team
- Strong analytical skills including collecting, analyzing, and organizing data effectively to minimize work effort
- Continuous Improvement mindset
- Advanced Excel, including pivot tables and complex formulas (e.g. vlookup)
- Well organized, self-starter
- Ability to balance numerous tasks, shift focus, as necessary
- Willing to assist other team members and take on new projects, as needed
- Knowledge of SAP, work orders, internal orders, purchase requisitions, payment requests
- SAP/BI experience
- Knowledge of the month end close process, budgeting, and variance analysis
- Knowledge of the utility industry (Gas Distribution) is preferred but not required
- Utility Accounting experience
- Previous budgeting/financial planning experience
- SharePoint Online Power-User/Design
- Experience with Tableau or Power BI
Supports business partners through the Monthly forecasting process; understands financial forecast drivers (i.e. staff, equipment, materials, and supplies); reports budget variances and provides insights for assigned areas; implements adjustments as necessary; provides ad-hoc analysis and reporting; ensures a high level of accountability for all assigned areas; supports business partners with budgetary changes through financial processes.
Supports business partners in the development of the annual Long-Term Financial Plan; forecasts the impacts of potential future events; provides responsible, accurate, and thorough technical and administrative project support to Finance Management.
Conducts a variety of financial and risk analyses, financial studies, investigations, and operations studies; performs cost allocations; develops and maintains financial models to support financial programs; conducts financial & statistical research; performs analysis of statistical data; recommends and implements modifications for improvement to programs, policies, and procedures as appropriate.