The Birth Certificate Coordinator is responsible for obtaining necessary data elements for completion of birth certificates, as required by state law. The Birth Certificate Coordinator is responsible for the application process for social security number, and completing paternity forms. The Birth Certificate coordinator is responsible for entering birth information into the Electronic Birth Registration System (EBRS) for electronic submission to the county.
- Obtains birth information from parent(s) using appropriate worksheet and report. Reviews birth certificate work sheet for completeness and accuracy. Prints and reviews preregistration forms.
- Reviews patient medical records and other resources, as needed, to obtain required birth information. Enters birth certificate information into the EBRS software program to generate Birth Certificate.
- Processes Birth Certificates for adoption and surrogacy cases.
- Processes Birth Certificate Affidavits for amendments to Birth Certificates.
- Maintains or exceeds acceptable quality levels.
- Reports and transmits birth certificate information in a timely manner as required by state law.
- Obtains signature(s) from parent(s) for birth certificate and other state specific programs (e.g., Social Security forms, Paternity Opportunity Program forms)
- Completes and reviews Paternity Opportunity Program (POP) forms.
- Completes name changes within the EHR as appropriate.
- Works closely with the Obstetrical nursing staff when carrying out duties.
- Maintenance of confidentiality with all protected health information (PHI) and HIPAA related information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1 year experience in an office environment.
- Previous experience in the handling of patient health information and/or medical records.
Education, Training and Experience
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- Computer skills
- Customer services skills
- Previous medical record and birth certificate experience preferred.
- Bilingual preferred.
Skills or Other Qualifications
- Advanced keyboarding skills.
- Ability to withstand the pressure of continual deadlines and receipt of work with variable requirements.
- Ability to concentrate and maintain accuracy despite frequent interruptions.
- Ability to be courteous, tactful and cooperative throughout the work day.
- Ability to use standard office equipment including computers, photocopy, and facsimile (fax) machines and microfilm reader/printers.
- Ability to print legibly.
- Must be well organized and demonstrate an aptitude for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates effective communication, interpersonal skills and ability to follow instructions.
- Knowledge of proper body mechanics, safety measures and infections control.