Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Billing Specialist will have the responsibility for maintaining a system of internal controls related to processing, analyzing, recording, billing and reconciliation of accounting transactions in relation to processing transactions within the corporate-wide accounts receivable and revenue functions. This includes processing transactions within general accounting functions, business processes, reconciling account balances, and the resultant financial statements.
The incumbent will be engaged with and require an understanding of Amtrak’s Financial accounting business processes in:
• Maintenance of accounting controls and procedures.
• Managing customer relationships with Amtrak departments.
• Invoicing in accordance with contract terms and conditions to generate billing revenue for Commuter, Reimbursable and capital/grants.
• Accurate recording of revenue and sales in accordance with GAAP, including cash and credit.
• Lead the monthly accounting cycle to ensure a timely closing of each month and year end closing, reporting and project requirements.
• Ad-hoc projects as determined by Manager.
• Seek continuous process improvements to maximize work efficiency
• Evaluate effectiveness of internal processes and controls and recommends enhancements to data retrieval, documentation, and process flow.
• Understanding of SAP financial system, organizational and business processes.
• Interface and develop/maintain relationships with peers and superiors.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent combination of education, training and work experience.
• Working knowledge of GAAP and GAAS and the ability to apply them to the maintenance of internal controls.
• Strong oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to interface effectively with individuals at various levels within and outside the organization sufficient to exchange information, work cooperatively, facilitate understanding, and persuade and influence others.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
• Experience in maintaining organizational processes and business systems, including the adherence to relevant policies and procedures governing these activities.
• Frequently learns new tasks, both complex and simple, in order to maintain effectiveness in position.
• Ability to communicate with multiple levels of management within Amtrak.
• Proficiency with integrated accounting systems, PC Applications, and with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Power Point, and Word.
• Strong organizational and task management skills.
• Honest, ethical, reliable, responsible, and dependable.
• 2 or more years of relevant accounting, finance, or other business experience.
• Transportation industry experience.
• Knowledge and experience associated with Amtrak’s accounting structure.
• Experience with SAP modules FI-GL, FI-AR, PS, CO, and SD, Business Objects, and BPC.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Finance || Corporate Jobs