For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
The following are responsibilities related to the Bacteriology Specialist:
• Cares for and maintains laboratory animals in accordance with Animal Welfare Act and the “Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, as well as, NIH policies.
• Performs and analyzes a variety of tests including biochemical, identification tests, and sensitivities.
• Slide preparation and staining.
• Prepares, performs, and analyzes Quality Control data on the above tests.
• Responsible for ensuring appropriate level of supplies are maintained.
• Reisolates colonies and sub broths to specified plates. Records and freezes specified organisms for future reference. Prepares set-ups for quarterly health surveillance and quantitative submissions.
• Assists in cases, as requested by the lab supervisor, following training of microbial identification in case-by-case requests. May be assigned cases on an as-need basis, or as directed by the lab supervisor. This includes understanding case background, identifying necessary organisms with sufficient and confirmatory testing, compiling final reports, and sending reports to designated customers.
• Assists in providing training to new technicians.
• Monitors case completion and file system of completed cases for reference.
• Accessions, sets up, and runs all incoming samples. Updates the WebHealth database and keeps written logs of all accessioned samples. Accessions and plates environmental submissions. Plates incubated broths onto appropriate media.
• Actively interacts with customers as required to solve customer requests, inquiries, and complaints and to provide technical assistance or clarify information regarding submission.
• Prepares and submits written reports, charts, logs and inventories as requested by Supervisor including tracking of sample submissions. Ensures accurate recording of all data.
• Maintains and operates equipment and use supplies according to SOPs and safety guidelines; performs general housekeeping and adheres to safety procedures. Complies with safety policies and procedures and MSDS guidelines, including those related to biohazards and radioactive substances.
The following are minimum qualifications related to the Bacteriology Specialist position:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences or related discipline required.
Experience: Minimum one year related technical experience in Bacteriology required. Experience in diagnostic clinical microbiology preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Certification/Licensure: ALAT within one year of hire.
About Insourcing Solutions
Charles River Insourcing Solutions℠ can streamline research by delivering operational and cost efficiencies through the strategic insourcing of GMP, GLP and non-GLP research services from discovery through safety assessment. Insourcing Solutions℠ provides you with the ability to maintain control of your facility and expertise while leveraging available space.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet