Location: LOC_ROBERTS-Roberts Ctr Pediatric Research
Req ID: 123072
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
The Asthma School Ambassador is a community health worker who supports the Community Asthma Prevention Program in participating elementary schools. The primary responsibility of the Asthma School Ambassador is to support the principal and school nurse in implementing school asthma interventions.
- Assists in coordinating and conducting the Open Airways for Schools course sessions.
- Visits classrooms of enrolled students to conduct an environmental assessment of potential asthma triggers.
- Provides supplies to reduce asthma triggers in the classrooms of enrolled students.
- Assists with yearly asthma training session for school personnel
- Assists with general study and program activities as needed
- Attends all regularly scheduled departmental and research staff meetings
- Assists in the orientation and training of staff as needed
- Collects and records study and program data.
- Assures data integrity.
- Adheres to study protocol.
- Travels to community sites for health fairs and events in support of the department
- May conduct home visits
The ideal candidate will have completed some college course work and will have experience working with school age children and/or working in a school environment
- Maintain caseload as defined by ongoing needs and level of experience
- Identify high risk children with asthma – review inpatient and ED asthma reports, follow up on physician and school nurse referrals, complete chart reviews for patients being seen in the Care Network for asthma-related sick visits.
- Conduct regular follow-up visits and/or telephone calls to reinforce education and administer assessments. Report results to health care team.
- Complete documentation for all education encounters in an appropriate and timely fashion
- Responsible for appropriate use of intervention supplies, maintaining organization of storage closet and documentation of use of supplies
- Training of new staff as needed
- Responsible for maintaining Microsoft Outlook calendar to document daily work schedule
- Attend monthly training sessions
- Follow all HIPPA and confidentiality regulations regarding protection of patients.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: High School diploma or GED
Required Experience: Minimum three (3) years of experience
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: College course work
Preferred Experience: Job related experience
Additional Technical Requirements
- Knowledge of local community and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with urban population.
- Preference given to residents of practice community.
- Preference given to candidates with family or personal history of asthma.
- Knowledge base of community organizations and current developments in the community.
- Good interpersonal skills, communications skills, problem solving skills, teaching and coaching skills and community networking skills.
- Ability to travel by car preferred.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146