BJ’s Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 17 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
The Associate Merchant is responsible for the merchandising functions for assigned categories, contributing to the development of business objectives, achieving sales and margin goals, executing the merchandising strategy, and providing analytical support, insights, and recommendations to the merchandise team. Additional responsibilities include:
- Collaborates on the development of sales and margin plans and sales forecasts for assigned categories.
- Manages and controls open-to-buy positioning and buys merchandise for assigned categories.
- Participates in negotiations directly with vendors on merchandise pricing, quantity, delivery and terms.
- Identifies and implements merchandise packaging and presentation techniques that enhance productivity and execution.
- Objectively assesses merchandise mix based on consumer trends and business needs to develop planograms and to provide recommendations on assortments.
- Reviews advertising and promotion analytics to evaluate performance, refine merchandise plans and suggest adjustments to strategy.
- Responsible for the implementation of category pricing strategy and executes exit strategies on slow selling items. Assesses pricing based on knowledge of competitive landscape, sales and margin objectives, and price indexing and targets.
- Researches competitive landscape and consumer trends to ensure alignment with strategy. Identifies merchandising risks and opportunities and presents recommendations.
- Provides effective and supportive direction and guidance to Merchant Assistants.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or operations related field
- 2-5 years of professional merchandising or retail operations experience
- Knowledge of vendor negotiation techniques
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and work independently in a fast-paced environment
BJ’s Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.