BJ’s Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 17 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
ASSISTANT MANAGER IN TRAINING (AMIT)
Responsible for overseeing specific areas of the club depending on role- Operations, Merchandising, Member Services, or Perishables. Serves as a leader of the entire club by providing direction, oversight, and validation of company expectations and initiatives. Establishes efficiencies, maintains policies and procedures, delivers a positive service experience to Members, and ensures a positive and safe environment for Members and Team Members.
The manager is responsible to function as the Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned. While MOD, the manager has responsibility to manage the entire Club, including all Club departments, to ensure excellent Member engagement, to address any and all concerns brought to the MOD’s attention, and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate. The manager could be assigned as MOD 50% or more of the manager’s scheduled shifts.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Maintains an understanding of club policies and procedures across all areas of the club. Provides leadership and direction to all departments within the club.
- Collaborates with other Assistant Managers to assess Team Member performance, provide actionable feedback and develop talent. Assists in hiring and training and administers corrective action as needed.
- Evaluates departmental performance using company reporting programs and makes operational decisions to maximize sales, profits, and performance.
- Responsible for the effective communication of departmental activities to club Team Members, club management and club support teams.
- Performs Club Self Audits and control procedures to measure compliance with club policies and procedures.
- Ensures operational processes are consistently followed in the highly controlled areas of receiving, asset control, human resources and cash office.
- Continually monitors customer service levels and ensures a positive service experience is delivered to all Members.
- Establishes operational efficiencies and productivity standards within the department and reviews budgets, plans and P&L to identify profit opportunities.
- Responsible for the proper maintenance and working order of the building, equipment, furniture and fixtures within the club.
- Role will focus on one of the following areas, Club Operations, Merchandising, Perishables, or Membership Services. Dependent on area, other responsibilities will be assigned.
- Knowledge of store operations, receiving, asset control, maintenance, human resources and cash office procedures required.
- Basic computer knowledge (MS Word, MS Excel, Email) required.
- High school diploma, college degree, and/or big box wholesale, retail, grocery and/or management experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including managing/supervising cross-functional teams, training team members, and driving and communicating results.
- Open shift availability required.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Most of the time is spent moving about frequently on hard surfaces. There may be a need to occasionally position oneself to examine or scan merchandise, including bending, handling, pulling, reaching, and/or stooping.
- Frequently requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. May require lifting and moving heavy and/or awkward objects in excess of 30 pounds with assistance.
- Located in a comfortable indoor area with frequent exposure to temperature extremes and loud noises. There may be occasional exposure to cleaning agents.
BJ’s Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.