Requisition Number: 46615
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
Scope of Role:
Applications Engineer for Corning’s Tropel Metrology Instruments. Corning designs and produces high-end laser-based flatness metrology tools for the measurement of critical full surface flatness related tolerances out of the Fairport, NY facility. These tools are used for a variety of high technology applications in a wide range of markets, from semiconductor wafers and photomasks to high performance rotary seals and hydraulics.
The Applications Engineer is responsible for providing technical solutions and support for customers, service engineers, manufacturing and sales teams. This will require the engineer to become an expert level user of the interferometers, and have an intimate understanding of the hardware, software, and the ways that customers use the information generated by the tools. The Applications Engineer also supplies the voice of the customer to the technology and development teams for improvements to the instruments and new product developments.
- Coordinate applications and sample measurement program to support sales efforts
- International travel to visit with potential customers and demonstrate our technical capabilities
- Represent the organization in providing solutions to technical issues associated with specific projects to external customers
- High level applications on-site support for more complicated instrument installations
- Remote, and occasional on-site troubleshooting support for the installed base
- Support of manufacturing team for instrument commissioning and applications specific testing prior to shipment
- Development of custom and semi-custom analysis routines for customers
- Manage a range of concurrent projects
Education & Experience Required:
- We require a Bachelor degree in Engineering
- We are seeking 3+ years of applicable experience
- Ability to solve multidisciplinary (Optics/Electronics/Software/PC) problems
- Negotiate, collaborate across functional boundaries
- Strong customer focus, and good communication skills
- Experience with precision measurement systems desirable
- Familiarity with instrument gauge study methodology a plus
- Capability to attain assigned goals without appreciable supervisory direction
- Produce results with limited resources
- Basic knowledge of coding desirable
- 10-20% travel required
Required to sign a covenant not to compete.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
Corning offers a competitive salary, vacation, pension, and family medical leave.
Are you ready to start an exciting career with Corning, Inc.? Apply today!
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.