Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,500 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2020 revenues of approximately $8.5 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA. For more information, visit www.eastman.com.
This posting is for an Applications Development and Technical Service Scientist in the Adhesives and Polymer Technology group located in Kingsport, TN for Eastman Chemical Company. The position will have responsibility for technical service and application development for the hygiene and packaging segment in North and Latin America. The position has first line responsibility for the strategic customers in this segment and will involve 30-50% travel to visit these accounts. The candidate will closely collaborate with the sales and marketing functions responsible for the segment and have joint responsibility for the growth targets in that segment. Responsibilities include timely resolution of customer complaints, adhesive formulation and analytical work in support of customer projects, and introduction of new products to the customers in the segment. The candidate will be a member of the global hygiene and packaging segment team and will closely collaborate with colleagues in the other regions. Candidates should be able to communicate effectively and function in an innovative, fast-paced, multidisciplinary team environment.
The selected individual for this position will be required to:
• Develop a deep understanding of structure-property-performance attributes of the Eastman product portfolio in formulated adhesives.
• Develop hands-on experience in design and formulation of hot melt adhesive systems.
• Build strong knowledge of hot melt adhesive applications in Hygiene, Packaging, and Durable Assembly applications.
• Build strong discovery skills to understand the issues our customers encounter in the market and find opportunities for Eastman to help resolve those issues. This includes acquiring knowledge about the end use applications which our customers sell into, such as end of line packaging and diaper manufacturing processes.
• Understand end-user requirements and testing procedures to determine how Eastman product offerings can enhance adhesive applications and performance.
• Have the ability to work with and connect seemingly unrelated pieces of information.
• Translate ideas and concepts into detailed technical work plans that allow a Technician resource to safely and effectively execute process chemistry or applications development.
• Provide technical support for customer inquiries and complaints.
• Assist customers with Adhesives formulations, application development and scale up.
• Prepare technical presentations and supporting literature to enable customer engagement.
• Protect intellectual property through patent applications and communicate relevant technical data through presentations at external customers’ sites.
• Represent the company at industry events and other forums.
• Participate in multidisciplinary new product development project teams.
• Travel (up to 50% of time) to Domestic and International locations under short notice.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
A Ph.D. or Master’s degree in Polymer Science/Engineering, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or related field from an accredited college or university.
The candidate should also possess:
• Demonstrated broad working knowledge in a wide range of polymer science skills including: structure-property relationships, polymer physics, characterization, mechanics of materials, and polymer testing.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• A minimum of 5 years of work experience in an industrial setting is preferred, preferentially in a field related to adhesives manufacturing or use.
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Eastman is committed to creating a powerfully diverse workforce and a broadly inclusive workplace, where everyone can contribute to their fullest potential each day.