Requisition Number: 45854
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position:
We seek to hire an Advanced Battery Cell Technology Manager who will define and lead technology direction for a team that bridges Research & Development (R&D) to develop product concept prototypes and validate feasibility. In this role, you will partner with commercial leads and explore new business opportunities.
- Establish yourself as the organization's Advanced Battery Cell Technology SME, developing trusted and positive relationships at all levels
- Create and manage Corning’s Advanced Battery Cell Technology roadmap, which communicates both high-level vision for the company as well as specific designs of differing cell chemistries within varying form factors
- Provide deep understanding of state-of-the-art battery cell technologies used across all applications
- Provide deep understanding of state-of-the-art cell and component performance testing, in-line with industry best standards
- Decompose application level requirements to System and Sub-system requirements and component definitions to drive Corning's design directions
- Design learning objectives towards the technology roadmap, partner with R&D to validate product concept feasibilities
- Help identify the most appropriate supply chain and testing partners to create an effective product value learning ecosystem
- Help introduce Corning's unique battery material forms into the marketplace
- Benchmarking performance of competitive products, systems and alternative technologies
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Build a team which bridges the intersection between the technical and commercial worlds
- Develop partnerships across the organization to develop product concepts, connecting materials level requirements with system level promise
- Understand, perform and/or lead a team to perform simulations of cell electrochemical and thermal performance using physics-based models
- Design and influence experiments to validate models and design/operation strategies, where needed partnering with other parts of the organization or external parties to achieve results
- Utilize and/or extend industry standard cost models
- Visit customers and develop strong customer insight into their challenges
- Help relate key product attributes from fundamental technology understanding towards setting appropriate specifications
- Support, facilitate and oversee testing for sub-components
- Develop an understanding of the battery supply chain, and propose strategies for how Corning should enter
- Partner with commercial leads to support creation of a business plan, supporting identification of and validating critical milestones for tracking progress
Hours of work/work schedule/flextime: 40+; M-F; 8-5 with possible overtime
Travel Requirements: Negotiable, but 10-20% of time, some international could be possible
- Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering, Electrochemistry, Material Science or similar; PhD desired
- 10+ years of experience with traditional and advanced battery materials, cell concepts, electrochemical testing (desired)
- 5+ years of experience in cell development and/or heavy cell utilization-based organizations, ideally both (desired)
- Significant experience translating application system-level requirements into component-level requirements
- Utilization of industry standard cost models (desired)
- Start-up mind set, bias for action, comfort with ambiguity
- Self-motivated and thrive on opportunity to lead technology thinking
- Ability to simplify complex trade-offs into simpler choices to support decision making
- Strong communicator and enjoy collaborating with colleagues to solve technical challenges
- Proven ability to lead and influence thinking / gain acceptance of others at all levels of an organization
- Aptitude for customer-facing skills
- Works well with others, sharing with others, and learning from others across organizational boundaries
- Willingness to challenge group thinking and ability to do so appropriately
This position supports immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.