Location: LOC_KOP_HOSPITAL-King of Prussia Hospital
Req ID: 129527
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
The Acute Care Technician provides direct and indirect care duties under the guidance and direction of the registered nurse. The role performs a variety of invasive and non-invasive technical skills and specialized patient care procedures as well as other duties to support 24-hours of hospital operations.
1. Assists in the provision of care to patients and families under the direction of the RN
- Performs or assists RN with initial admission/intake
- Documents patient care, vitals, weights, allergies, interventions
- Quickly and accurately communicates patient information to the appropriate team member
- Transfers patients to other departments and areas utilizing appropriate techniques and equipment to transport patients
- Utilizes and exemplifies safety behaviors for error prevention. Identifies potential safety concerns and communicates with unit leadership as appropriate
- Provides 1:1 observation for psychiatric emergencies per hospital standard
- Application, documentation, removal, and supervision of restraints
- Monitors care and escalates concerns
- Dressing changes for central venous catheters
- Airway management including tracheostomy changes, replacement and suctioning
- Positioning patients for various procedures and specimen collections including lumbar punctures
- Bladder catheterization and Foley insertion
- OG/NG placement
- Spinal immobilization
- Recovers from Phase II sedation
2. Performs procedures under direction of RN
- Peripheral IV insertion with and without venous blood sampling
- Primes fluids and enteral feeds
- Point of Care Testing
- Obtains and prepares supplies for procedures including, but not limited to, PIV insertion, PICC insertion, CVC dressing change and CVC repair
- Oxygen administration, bag/valve/mask/mapleson airway support as ordered/needed
- EKGs as ordered
- Wound care and dressing application
- Positioning, lifting, transferring, and turning of patients
- Monitors patient during insertion of peripherally inserted central venous catheter (PICC) in Fluoroscopy or within intensive care units under direction of RN
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
3. Maintains proficiency with transport and patient care equipment including, but not limited to, monitoring and infusion pumps
4. Complies with all CHOP policies and procedures
5. Area based skills may include:
- Emergency Department Based Skills:
- Bladder scanning
- Initiates Behavioral Health Screening.
- Performs bedside role in traumas and resuscitations.
- Hospital Decontamination Team member.
- Performs casting and splinting under the direction of the ED Attending.
- Collects evidence per hospital policy
- Vascular Access Service (VAS) Based Skills:
- Facilities planning of institution-wide PIV insertion classes and educates staff on PIV insertion
- Collaborates with VAS Leadership team regarding course content and coordination of class schedule
- Partners with individual units to provide just-in time education for RNs learning PIV insertion skills
- Educates and trains staff new to PIV insertion and facilitates insertion opportunities for novice PIV inserters
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Current Basic Life Support (BLS) issued through on organization that requires a hands-on instructor lead psychomotor skills verification (ex. American Heart Association or Red Cross) required.
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: High School / GED
- At least one (1) year of previous clinical health care experience
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Diploma/Certificate of completion of EMT-Paramedic, EMT, LPN, or similar program
Preferred Experience: Previously ED/Critical Care Technician at another hospital
- ACLS, National Registry Certification
- PALS or PEARS certification
Additional Technical Requirements
- Ability to perform clinical technical tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of all ages.
- Basic knowledge of growth and development.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146